spartan 250 trans help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
smokeless_6.4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 69
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
spartan 250 trans help

ok, i pulled the trigger and went from the 210 to the 250 tune on my truck with under 4k miles on it. i did the tranny relearn 2 different times. after the first relearn shifting was better of course but the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts harder than the rest of the gears by far. so 500 miles later i do the 2nd relearn with no luck still the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. When i do the 4x4 high launch to 70 everything is perfect. but as soon as i finish the relearn i feel it. and seems like when i punch it to get into traffic it hesitates not sure if its the converter or not please help, thanks in advance.

2010 FX4 leveled out with 2" rear blocks, Spartan 250 tune with 5" DPF/CAT delete with 7" single stack. 20" moto metal 950, 35 12.50 graps SOLD...
1994 F-250 ext Cab XLT 7.3 idi NA with PSD swap MBRP downpipe 4 exhaust and 6" single stack TS 6 pos tuner 6" suspension lift, 20" welds 36" Iroks

2010 Ford Crown Vic with police package
smokeless_6.4 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict


 
08stroker250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The 2-3 shift is always the hardest shift in these transmissions with tuning. I am no tranny expert, so I can't tell you why. Only thing I can figure is that higher pressure is needed when that gear engages.

Jeff Dodd
spartan_jeff12@yahoo.com

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC/SB

Mods - Spartan tuned via laptop, 4" AFE stainless exhaust system, 2.5" PMF BMC leveling spacers, 3" PMF lift blocks, Fox Racing 2.0 shocks, Recon smoked mirror & cab lights
08stroker250 is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Philip DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless_6.4 View Post
ok, i pulled the trigger and went from the 210 to the 250 tune on my truck with under 4k miles on it. i did the tranny relearn 2 different times. after the first relearn shifting was better of course but the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts harder than the rest of the gears by far. so 500 miles later i do the 2nd relearn with no luck still the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. When i do the 4x4 high launch to 70 everything is perfect. but as soon as i finish the relearn i feel it. and seems like when i punch it to get into traffic it hesitates not sure if its the converter or not please help, thanks in advance.
My truck does the same thing i really do not know why but i have a few thousand miles on it and its still holding up.

If i drive it Slightily more agressive it seems to shift alot better then then when I feather it I dont know why???? I hope someone can figure this out it have been bothering me for months now!
Philip DZ is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
TEX420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I am about to switch to the 250 soon too and will need to do the tranny relearn. Only thing is... I dont know how to do the relearn?? Is there an option on the dasdaq or do you just do it? Noob question for sure, but a needed answer none the less.
TEX420 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict


 
08stroker250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX420 View Post
I am about to switch to the 250 soon too and will need to do the tranny relearn. Only thing is... I dont know how to do the relearn?? Is there an option on the dasdaq or do you just do it? Noob question for sure, but a needed answer none the less.
A tranny relearn is just you going out and driving the truck in a way to get the tranny to learn consistency. Go out and do three 0-60 passes at 1/2 throttle and three 0-60 pass at WOT. That should be plenty with the 250 tune and stock TCM.

Jeff Dodd
spartan_jeff12@yahoo.com

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC/SB

Mods - Spartan tuned via laptop, 4" AFE stainless exhaust system, 2.5" PMF BMC leveling spacers, 3" PMF lift blocks, Fox Racing 2.0 shocks, Recon smoked mirror & cab lights
08stroker250 is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
TEX420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West Texas
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks Jeff good to know. It seems like everytime I have a question you're right there with an answer. Great customer service.

2008 Job 1 F-250 Powerstroke Lariat.
Top Gun Grill Guard & Headache Rack.
Spartan, S&B, AFE, AirDog
TEX420 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict


 
08stroker250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX420 View Post
Thanks Jeff good to know. It seems like everytime I have a question you're right there with an answer. Great customer service.
I am always happy to help

Jeff Dodd
spartan_jeff12@yahoo.com

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC/SB

Mods - Spartan tuned via laptop, 4" AFE stainless exhaust system, 2.5" PMF BMC leveling spacers, 3" PMF lift blocks, Fox Racing 2.0 shocks, Recon smoked mirror & cab lights
08stroker250 is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Philip DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60 mph at approximately 1/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
2.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
3.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70 mph at approximately 3/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
4.) From a 40 mph roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift) and accelerate to around 75 mph.
5.) From a stop, acclerate to 75 mph at wide open throttle (press the accelator to the floor immediately). DO THIS 2-3 TIMES.


I think this is the best way to do it i got this from the spartan web site.... am i wrong is there a better way to do it?
Philip DZ is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict


 
08stroker250's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 5
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip DZ View Post
1.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60 mph at approximately 1/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
2.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
3.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70 mph at approximately 3/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
4.) From a 40 mph roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift) and accelerate to around 75 mph.
5.) From a stop, acclerate to 75 mph at wide open throttle (press the accelator to the floor immediately). DO THIS 2-3 TIMES.


I think this is the best way to do it i got this from the spartan web site.... am i wrong is there a better way to do it?
That is the best way to do it for those that have our TCM. The stock TCM doesn't need that extensive of a relearn. The one I posted above is plenty for the stock TCM.

Jeff Dodd
spartan_jeff12@yahoo.com

2012 Ford F-250 Lariat CC/SB

Mods - Spartan tuned via laptop, 4" AFE stainless exhaust system, 2.5" PMF BMC leveling spacers, 3" PMF lift blocks, Fox Racing 2.0 shocks, Recon smoked mirror & cab lights
08stroker250 is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 
Philip DZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ocala Florida
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
That is the best way to do it for those that have our TCM. The stock TCM doesn't need that extensive of a relearn. The one I posted above is plenty for the stock TCM.
Do you have to re load the tune to do the re-learn or can you do it after its already been driving a few thousand miles?

I know im a noobie dont want to bother ya bud!
Philip DZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome