spartan 250 trans help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
spartan 250 trans help

ok, i pulled the trigger and went from the 210 to the 250 tune on my truck with under 4k miles on it. i did the tranny relearn 2 different times. after the first relearn shifting was better of course but the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts harder than the rest of the gears by far. so 500 miles later i do the 2nd relearn with no luck still the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. When i do the 4x4 high launch to 70 everything is perfect. but as soon as i finish the relearn i feel it. and seems like when i punch it to get into traffic it hesitates not sure if its the converter or not please help, thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The 2-3 shift is always the hardest shift in these transmissions with tuning. I am no tranny expert, so I can't tell you why. Only thing I can figure is that higher pressure is needed when that gear engages.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeless_6.4 View Post
ok, i pulled the trigger and went from the 210 to the 250 tune on my truck with under 4k miles on it. i did the tranny relearn 2 different times. after the first relearn shifting was better of course but the 2nd to 3rd gear shifts harder than the rest of the gears by far. so 500 miles later i do the 2nd relearn with no luck still the hard shift from 2nd to 3rd. When i do the 4x4 high launch to 70 everything is perfect. but as soon as i finish the relearn i feel it. and seems like when i punch it to get into traffic it hesitates not sure if its the converter or not please help, thanks in advance.
My truck does the same thing i really do not know why but i have a few thousand miles on it and its still holding up.

If i drive it Slightily more agressive it seems to shift alot better then then when I feather it I dont know why???? I hope someone can figure this out it have been bothering me for months now!
Old 07-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am about to switch to the 250 soon too and will need to do the tranny relearn. Only thing is... I dont know how to do the relearn?? Is there an option on the dasdaq or do you just do it? Noob question for sure, but a needed answer none the less.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX420 View Post
I am about to switch to the 250 soon too and will need to do the tranny relearn. Only thing is... I dont know how to do the relearn?? Is there an option on the dasdaq or do you just do it? Noob question for sure, but a needed answer none the less.
A tranny relearn is just you going out and driving the truck in a way to get the tranny to learn consistency. Go out and do three 0-60 passes at 1/2 throttle and three 0-60 pass at WOT. That should be plenty with the 250 tune and stock TCM.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks Jeff good to know. It seems like everytime I have a question you're right there with an answer. Great customer service.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEX420 View Post
Thanks Jeff good to know. It seems like everytime I have a question you're right there with an answer. Great customer service.
I am always happy to help
Old 07-08-2010, 03:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

1.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60 mph at approximately 1/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
2.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
3.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70 mph at approximately 3/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
4.) From a 40 mph roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift) and accelerate to around 75 mph.
5.) From a stop, acclerate to 75 mph at wide open throttle (press the accelator to the floor immediately). DO THIS 2-3 TIMES.

I think this is the best way to do it i got this from the spartan web site.... am i wrong is there a better way to do it?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip DZ View Post
1.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60 mph at approximately 1/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
2.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70 mph at approximately 1/2 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
3.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70 mph at approximately 3/4 throttle. DO THIS TWICE.
4.) From a 40 mph roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift) and accelerate to around 75 mph.
5.) From a stop, acclerate to 75 mph at wide open throttle (press the accelator to the floor immediately). DO THIS 2-3 TIMES.

I think this is the best way to do it i got this from the spartan web site.... am i wrong is there a better way to do it?
That is the best way to do it for those that have our TCM. The stock TCM doesn't need that extensive of a relearn. The one I posted above is plenty for the stock TCM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
That is the best way to do it for those that have our TCM. The stock TCM doesn't need that extensive of a relearn. The one I posted above is plenty for the stock TCM.
Do you have to re load the tune to do the re-learn or can you do it after its already been driving a few thousand miles?

I know im a noobie dont want to bother ya bud!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.