Advice much needed! Tuners, Exhaust, Intake - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice much needed! Tuners, Exhaust, Intake

I recently purchased a 2010 F250 Super Duty. I have been doing as much research as possible and have not had a solid conclusion about what I would like to do to my truck. A friend of mine did the Spartan tuner, with 4" staight back exhaust, intake and new head studs. The shop I am looking to get some work done, is suggesting a SCT Extreme Livewire with 4" Flo-pro DPF Delete and MBRP DPF back exhaust system, AFI stage 2 instake. Another shop is just recommending the Superchip without the exhaust but doing intake because of the warranty superchips provides. I was hoping to get some good advice. As being conservative I am a little nervous about my warranty, but would like to have the power and definately looking for improved fuel economy as it is my daily vehicle. I am open to all suggestions and comments at this point. Just looking for the best possible combination with the minimal risk to stock parts such as transmission. Hope you can help me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2010, 02:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jonboywv12
the first shop is really pointing you in the right direction. IMO. superchips in alright its not the best out there but sct would be better to get so you can get some custom tunes and not this (one tune fits all) thats what "i" do not like about normal programmers. if your worried about warranty you better just hold off for a while with exhaust and such especially a 2010? yeah your guna have to wait a while. you could do a chip/programmer if you want just make sure you'll be able to go back to stock and replace the codes before it goes into shop cause they'll pick up on that and void it quicker than anything. hope this helps. welcome to org and diesels!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:38 PM

I have a 2010 f-350 and I went with spartan tuner just because it's the best tuner out there and ford can't detect it if you take the truck in for work. 5 inch flo-pro exhaust with DPF delete and since I'm putting on everything if I have to take the truck in for warranty work i can put the DPF back on. And I went with AFE stage 2 intake cause it flows more air the S&B. Talk to Rudy Diesel Performance for all those parts and talk to Aaron. You won't be dissapointed by his knowledge plus you will get the parts very quick.
And he was the cheapest for those parts I mention.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you for the help, I asked the guys at the first shop about the Spartan and they said yeah it delivers the power, but they have seen it wreck more transmissions and engines then the SCT, they all run the SCT tuners in theirs. So, pardon my ignorance. If I do have a warranty item, what is the best process about going about it, obviously programming back to stock, but I also need to put the DPF back on is that correct? Curious if there is anyone here in the Houston area that would be willing to be paid to show me how to put on the exhaust etc so I can do it myself in the future, the shop I am taking it to wont allow me to watch and learn because of OSHA.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010F250Crew View Post
Thank you for the help, I asked the guys at the first shop about the Spartan and they said yeah it delivers the power, but they have seen it wreck more transmissions and engines then the SCT, they all run the SCT tuners in theirs. So, pardon my ignorance. If I do have a warranty item, what is the best process about going about it, obviously programming back to stock, but I also need to put the DPF back on is that correct? Curious if there is anyone here in the Houston area that would be willing to be paid to show me how to put on the exhaust etc so I can do it myself in the future, the shop I am taking it to wont allow me to watch and learn because of OSHA.
What do you expect from a SCT dealer. Do a search on this site and you will find more positive feedback about spartan then any other tuner. What performance place told you this? It sounds like a place I talked to not to long ago. They said the samething about spartan but then I came to this site and it changed my mind and I'm glad it did.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM

its not the spartan that wrecks the engine and trans, it's the driver.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM

SCT is a good tuner with the right custom tunes. I went with H&S, is easier to do the DPF delete because you don't have to remove and replace any sensors.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:07 PM

Spartan, SCT, and H&S are all gonna be your best bet. They are all very good. There is another thread started comparing the three that you might read to help you make up your mind. As far as putting it on, there is nothing to it. Its a little work, but very little brain power for it. Read the forums and directions and you should have no problem doing the delete yourself. There are plenty here to help if you need it.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:27 PM

I wouldn't even consider a tune/chip from anyone but these 3 IMHO.
The Ultimate DPF delete SHOWDOWN!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you to all for the information and the advice. My buddy who has the Spartan is going to sell me his cheap because he sold his truck so I am leaning towards that right now. Sorry for sounding ignorant on the topic, most of this is new, I look foward to learning about it, but just am the type of person that wants to know and do my homework. All feedback is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.