Compression Ignition Addict
Join Date: Jun 2010
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The Ultimate DPF delete SHOWDOWN!
If you see anything wrong, prices, facts etc... PLEASE post about.
DO NOT bash other companies product. This is just to help people get all the facts in one spot.
So, like many others, I am contemplating what DPF/Tune to go with.
I am making a list of pros/cons of each of the main three.
So far what I have gathered is:
You can't go wrong with any of the three.
They ALL have a nice looking display for the most part.
They ALL have the ability to produce a TON of power.
They ALL seem to have great customer service.
All kits I priced with a DPF AND Cat delete. You could substract around $100 for just a DPF delete.
$1448.99 from rudy's. (Does not include the 275/310 tune but it can be added for $350)
1) By far the largest variety of tunes. Including a 210 HP Tow tune. 250HP is the max on the basic set of tunes. (up to 310/350 HP)
From Jeff: "Yes, we have a 210 Tow Performance tune. It has increased line pressure on the 1-2, 2-3, and 3-5 shifts. It also has early lock-up. We designed this tune specifically for towing heavy loads and at the same time keep your tranny alive. "
2) Nice display with data-logging and very easy to hook up.
3) So far seems hard for ford to detect?
4) EGR bypass in tunes.
5) GPS add-on option for the display.
6) DPF ON tune/s
7) Along with its tuning ability, the Phalanx offers a full line of parameter monitoring and datalogging, serving as a full set of digital AND analog gauges, with the ability to monitor:
* Exhaust Gas Temperature
* Engine Coolant Temperature
* Engine Oil Temperature
* Transmission Temperature
* Fuel Rail Pressure
* Fuel Rail Temperature
* Injection Timing
* Fuel Delivery Volume
* Regeneration Status
* Diesel Particulate Filter Pressure
* Intake Air Temperature
* Charge Air Temperature
* and hundreds (literally) of other parameters.
8) KEM tuning available on the v1 units.
9) All new Spartan tuners come ready for removal of the exhaust sensors, and all tuners purchased through us come with a delete pipe without the bungs.
1) Known to be a little more expensive than the rest.
2) Rumor "puking" in cold weather on the bigger tunes? (But I think a fix has been released for this)
Sent Jeff a PM and was told this"Puking in cold weather occurs when the truck is not allowed to warm up properly before the truck is driven hard. Also, 9/10 times puking is going to signify blown head gaskets. Sometimes it can be thermostat, water pump, or EGR cooler related, but that is much less likely than the blown head gasket scenario."
3) Takes approx. 15 mins to change tunes.
4) Able to calibrate different size tires/gears but at a cost.
Jeff was also able to tell me this "Tire size adjustment is 3 tunes for $100. This is not a one time cost. Anytime you change to a different set of tires and want it done, we have to write you a new set of tunes."
5) $300 fee for use on a new vehicle? (Need to confirm)
Personal thoughts: Great selection of tunes.
Notes: Have packages for the 6.0, 7.3, 6.4 and 6.7. Rudy's has a nice mount for it.
$1075.55 for the Mini Maxx (901.55 Mini Maxx, 175 Delete pipes)/$1425.55 for the Black Maxx both priced at Performance Truck Products website.
$1178.99 for the Mini Maxx/$1398.99 for the Black Maxx both priced at Rudy's.
Mini Maxx is the same as the Black Maxx without the Active Maxx software.
1) Change on the fly tunes.
2) Choice of 2 displays, one of which is nice and small and nice mounting options.
3) Tunes up to 250HP, can get the "Hot Dam" tune, 275 HP free of charge on their website. A user said "H&S 275hp tune comes on the tuner and should dyno 540ish"
"The 275hp tune is refferred to as a Hot Damn file, tuner is shipped with the standard Hot file, but can be updated to the larger Hot Damn file via their website free of charge."
4) Turn off EGR without removing any parts.
5) Reasonable pricing
6) Internet updatable w/included SD Memory Card, all updates are FREE to download
7) Allows removal of the DPF system and ALL related sensors (nothing needs to go into the race exhaust)
8) Speedometer recalibration for use of non-stock size tires or gearing
9) DPF ON tune/s referring to DPF on tunes "h&s has them too.but as stated above not good for the truck at all."
10) No re-licensing fees for use on a new vehicle?
11) Digital gauges to monitor 20+ parameters inc. EGTs, boost, trans temp, fuel pressure, RPM, load, etc
12) KEM tuning soon to be available.
1) No data-logging?
2) Haven't heard much about how detectable it is. Someone posted on another site, "Hey guys i just got a hold of H&S talked to them about the Blackmaxx tuner on the phone and he told me that it is traceable by Ford. He also told me that anything you do to the 6.4L is traceable if Ford looks hard enough????"
Keep in my mind with this statement he is not saying H&S is the only one that IS traceable. He is saying they ALL are traceable. Which I agree with to a point. I don't believe the average ford mechanic can find it, but I am sure a engineer or something could at least see where the factory tune may have been reloaded.
3) No towing tune?
"The 275hp tune is referred to as a Hot Damn file, tuner is shipped with the standard Hot file, but can be updated to the larger Hot Damn file via their website free of charge. As for a lack of a towing tune, the Mild tune seems to do quite well in my personal truck with a lot of weight behind it."
"Just my .02 cents, but just because HS doesn't title one of their tunes 'tow' doesn't mean it isn't good for towing. I've done quite a bit of heavy towing with my truck in the Mild tune, with the trans in tow/haul mode it works awesome for towing. Good trans strategies with the weight behind it. EGT's are virtually impossible to get over 1050-1100 degrees. Will maintain 75mph no problem, on just about every big grade I've tried."
Personal thoughts:Nice/Reasonably small Mini Maxx display.
Note: H&S is working on 6.0 and 7.3 packages. Rudy's also has a nice mount for this one also.
SCT Touchscreen from Innovative
$1462.95 from Innovative.
1) Nice wireless touchscreen display.
2) Data Logging / Monitoring
3) Power choices:
Xtreme Race - 325+rwhp
Xtreme Street - 285rwhp
Street - 215rwhp
Tow - 85rwhp
4) Eric says it is just as undetectable as a Spartan.
5) Reasonably priced.
6) Expandable memory.
7) Allows for calibration of different size tires/gears.
8) Trans choices:
9) DPF on/off
10) EGR on/off
1) Roughly 15 mins to load a tune.
2) Uncertain if the display can be wired to run all the time or if it needs to recharged over and over.
Personal thoughts:A lot of versatility with running a SCT on different vehicles and plenty of room to grow in general. Have not seen any unique/custom mounts for this one yet.
PLEASE reply with anything you see wrong or anything I may have missed.
I am hoping to get this as accurate as possible for everyone and I don't wanna provide false information. This is just a list I have come up with over the last few days.
Last edited by Grunnsetning; 11-29-2010 at 04:40 AM.