Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Noob Questions about mods.

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  96cobra10101 
#1 ·
Hey all, new guy here. I just traded in my '04 F250 FX4 LB Crewcab 6.0 for a brand new 2010 F350, Lariat, LB crewcab. Got a good deal on it and picked a truck with the options I wanted so new was worth it to me. I bought an extended warranty with it (60K) also.

I am ready to throw some more money into it in the form of a lift and the I think its called the DPF delete. I am a halfway decent wrench, but by no means would I call myself a mechanic.
Couple questions;
What mileage are you guys getting with the delete and tune?
How tough is to set the tune back to factory to keep the truck in warranty? Is the Spartan the way to go? I see it mentioned alot on here.
And where do I get the pipe and tune at/from?
Is a lift going to void anything on my warranty.
I was told by a employee (in secrecy) at the Ford dealer where I got my truck that there is a Ford dealer in Central Florida who will do the delete and tune for you, but you have to return to his dealership to get warranty work done. Any Florida guys know of this?
And last, is there a minimum mileage to put on the truck before doing the tune.

Thanks all.

See less See more
#2 ·
any place that sells a tuner will have the pipe also.as far as spartan it depends on what you want out of your truck.look around on here,use the search tool.big names are spartan sct and h&s black maxx.lots of choices out there and its your money.from what i have read im buying h&s.as far as i know all tuners have the ability to put stock tune on and easy removal of the tuner from truck.keep dpf/doc pipe so you can put it back on for warranty issues.most of the time a lift wont void warranty.but they will try to say it does.basically anything you do to your truck the factory/dealership has to prove it caused the failure ie. tuners,lifts.but you also have to be willing to fight them on this with a lawyer so its your choice of when you put this stuff on and if you think your dealer is ok with it.or search around for one close by that is.i think i covered you questions but do some homework to form your own opinions as well.welcome to the 6.4 family

#3 ·
I recommend Spartan tuning. It has been around the longest and is proven over the rest in my opinion.....I also work for them so I may be a little biased lol. I know plenty of members on here that feel the same way though. You get 13 tunes out of the box with the Spartan tuner. 4 DPF on tunes and 9 DPF delete tunes. There is even a specific tune designated for heavy loads if you ever tow. Fuel mileage is typically in the 12-16 mpg range in the city, 14-17 mpg mixed, and 16-20+ mpg on the highway. This is all determined by your right foot. The tuner is completely plug and play, so nothing difficult about it. It is also not detectable once returned to stock. It would take some serious digging for a tech to see that your truck was tuned. As far as where to get the pipe and tuner from, you can buy it all direct through us at Spartan or you can purchase them through one of the vendors on here that carry the tuner and pipes. As for the lift....I haven't heard of to many warranties being voided because of that. And lastly, you can put the tuner on whenever you are ready. We have many guys put our tuner on as soon as they buy the truck. Others like to wait until after the first oil change. I say the earlier the better personally.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. This site is outstanding and a plethora of info. I belonged to another site before finding this one and comparing the 2, they were no where near the wealth info found in the few pages I read last night. I still haven't taken delivery of the beast, I am putting around in the loaner they furnished me till mine arrives.

It looks like Spartan is the winner, along with removing the Dpf and installing a straight pipe. Along with some rims tires and a 6" lift, I'll be happy fricken camper when all is done.

I'll post pics when I take delivery.

#9 ·
I'm no expert, but from what I've read and experienced, if you want the lowest chance of dealer detection and/or want to race, the Spartan is the way to go. I don't race, but I went with Spartan for the low chance of dealer detection. Good/bad/indifferent, that was my choice. And I'm extremely pleased with the performance of the tunes. And Rudy's is the place to go for the purchase, IMO.

#13 ·
Stopped at a local shop (Lightning Motorsports) today and talked with the wrenches there. They had the wheels tires and lift I think I might go with so I will probably purchase everything there. I am wanting the spartan tune so as of yet I am undecided and may purchase that else where or online. I like to support the local shops so I will get everything I can from them or around town, as long as the prices are good. Can't wait for the upgrades.:woot:

Oh, and the Sync w/ voice command is awesome. I used it with both my Iphone and Zune. "Play album "2112"." Love it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.