Opinions needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 09:26 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Opinions needed

Well tuesday i sold my 07 dodge ram 5.9CTD and I really regret doing it but anyways I bought an '08 F250 today. Has 125,000 miles on it which is kinda alot i know. I am wanting to get opinions on which brand stuff to buy. I am not very knowledgable about the 6.4 so I need some teaching I know I will do exhaust, intake, and tuner. I see alot of folks just get a delete pipe for the cat/dpf but do most exhausts come with the bungs for the sensors? and what all sensors are in the exhaust on these truck bc i see ppl say they are the pyro sensors then some say exhaust pressure and i am a complete newb with these trucks So please tell me what yall reccomend as far as exhaust goes. And I am still confused as to which tuner would be the best for my needs. I am looking at spartan, sct, or h&s. This truck is just my daily driver so I want good(better) mileage and I want some power to play with. So please give me ya'lls opinions

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010, 05:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I went with Spartan and am very pleased with it. there a lot of people here that swear by the H&S as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I went with the delete pipe so the tail pipe would be stock appearing as I live in CA. Some of the intakes fit better than others but I don't remember right off hand as I left mine stock. Just do a lot of reading and searches and you'll find the answers to any question you might have. Enjoy your new truck...
Old 05-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I don't think you could go wrong H&S, spartan or sct they all seem to be good tuners. I went with H&S Mini max for shift on the fly and you didn't have to remove the sensors from the stock exhaust and install them into after market exhaust. I also went with afe intake system it's a little more money but easier to install and remove filter to clean
Old 05-21-2010, 08:31 AM

I'm with the others I have a spartan, DOC DPF Delete and AFE Intake. I also have a Banks Exhaust behind the delete pipe. You can't go wrong with either the H&S or Spartan, i choose the spartan when the H&S was new but still feel it was the right choice as i don't care about shift on the fly.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:48 AM

Here are the differences as I see them. Spartan has more tunes available and has the highest HP tune. H&S has shift on the fly and the dpf delete is easier to do because you don't need to mess with any sensors and the Black Maxx will work on any of the platforms they support. So if you went back to Dodge you could use the Black Maxx. I have not done much research for the SCT so I am unable to comment on that one.
Old 05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have the SCT and love it. I have not driven a Spartan tuned truck, so can't compare. But I've not heard a bad thing. I understand that I need to get Eric at IDP to custom tune my SCT and I'll love it even more. My .02.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:23 AM

H&S on mine and damn glad I did. Their customer support is second to none and you don't have to pay for the higher HP tunes. It's nice that you don't have to worry about the sensors with the H&S because the back one is a PIA. The tranny tuning is spot on and the higher HP tunes are unreal. You can see the times I ran and that was with some wheel hop so I feel I could have hit the 12.8's. My milage went up 4-5MPG also. H&S is always working to improve their products they are never satisfied even when we are.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM

thanks for the responses guys. Still unsure which I will go with When yall say the H&S is better bc you don't have to mess with the sensors....what sensors are ya'll talking about? I guess ya'll are referring to the 3 sensors in the dpf pipe but I am still unsure as to what they are... One thing that I like about the SCT is that you can get custom made tunes for your truck. I seen one that had the 585 lope tune which sounded pretty good H&S, blackmaxx or spartan like that? As far as exhaust is it worth it to just put in a delete pipe or should I go ahead and get a turbo back or down pipe back? Again sorry for these dum questions as I am not to familiar with these motors.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:14 PM

The sensors are prone to break off if not careful and I have a custom tune from H&S that's around 315HP and by my trap speed of 104.42 it's darn close to 600RWHP if not more.
Old 05-21-2010, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You never said what your plans for the truck where. I would think with that many miles you don't have a warranty. if that is true I would get a 4" downpipe and a 5" downpipe back exhaust. The stock downpipe is restrictive and a 4" downpipe will free up the engine some and lower your egts. As for tuners SCT is way to big in my opinion and the canned tunes are not that good so you would have to buy some custom tunes to catch up to the other tuners so your not going to save money there. Spartan comes with the most tunes and the DashDaq is the best for monitoring the trucks systems and for looks. With the H & S system you can change tunes on the fly and you don't have to remove the sensors from the DPF/CAT and put them in the new exhaust and it will monitor enough to get by and looks nice. I hope this helps you out.
-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.