spartan shifting problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
spartan shifting problems

just loaded the 275 last week did the relearn , went perfect about three days later i get on it from a roll about half throttle to 45-50mph no problems....... stop a mile down the road idling in drive foot on the brake and i feel the truck shifting, try to take off and it feels like you are starting in third gear. cant manually shift down. put it in park, shut it off, re start the truck give it a run for the money it is fine !
drive it the rest of the week no problems........ end of the week i install the 310 do the relearn no problems goes great, drive it a little over the weekend........ this morning i get on it from a roll to about half throttle to 45-50 mph goes great , stop at the next light and the truck starts to up shift as im at the light with my foot on the brake not moving but you can feel it shifting?????? WTF????? manually shift to neutral leave it there about a minute and back to drive its fine...... untill you stop again. pull over shut it off re start it and its fine . no codes ,no nothing, does not feel like its slipping just downshifts as you stop and while you are stopped you can feel it shifting back up .
this only happened once each 275/310 almost exactly the same time frame after loading the tunes? truck is an 09 with 8,000 miles is this a glitch in the tunes? any ideas. less than a full tank of fuel through it with the 2 high hp tunes , about 6,000 miles on the 210 tune without a hiccup . im at a loss of what to do . dropped back to the 275 this afternoon did the relearn ....so far so good ..... whats gonna happen in three days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Had the same problem after reloading, it takes time for the PCM to relearn the trans strategy, then shifts awesome
I am thinking on purchasing the trans module from Spartan to help the trans.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The hanging in gear issue is usually caused from a solenoid having trash in it or getting hung open. I have never heard of a tranny shifting while the truck is stopped, in gear, with the brake on. Almost sounds like it might have gotten hung again and it got unhung and went back to the right gear and you felt it. I am no tranny expert, but this is what it sounds like to me.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
The hanging in gear issue is usually caused from a solenoid having trash in it or getting hung open. I have never heard of a tranny shifting while the truck is stopped, in gear, with the brake on. Almost sounds like it might have gotten hung again and it got unhung and went back to the right gear and you felt it. I am no tranny expert, but this is what it sounds like to me.
i also thought this could be a possibility , however anytime i have seen a solenoid issue it throws a code especially if it sticks for some reason ( im no tranny expert either) and when i thought i felt it shifting at the light i was shocked and pulled over at the first chance i had as soon as i felt it downshift i took my foot off the brake to let it roll and see if it was actually shifting or my imagination as soon as it started to move it shifted up and then immediately shifted up again , thats one of the times i tried manually downshifting and it wouldnt. but pop it in neutral and back in gear and it was fine . dont get me wrong im not complaining about the spartan or the tuning i love it just want to make sure there is no glitch in my tune before i do severe damage , i work on cars for a living but have never seen this kind of shifting before! just cause the labor to install a suncoast would be free per say, doesnt mean i want to right off soon!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerhurd View Post
i also thought this could be a possibility , however anytime i have seen a solenoid issue it throws a code especially if it sticks for some reason ( im no tranny expert either) and when i thought i felt it shifting at the light i was shocked and pulled over at the first chance i had as soon as i felt it downshift i took my foot off the brake to let it roll and see if it was actually shifting or my imagination as soon as it started to move it shifted up and then immediately shifted up again , thats one of the times i tried manually downshifting and it wouldnt. but pop it in neutral and back in gear and it was fine . dont get me wrong im not complaining about the spartan or the tuning i love it just want to make sure there is no glitch in my tune before i do severe damage , i work on cars for a living but have never seen this kind of shifting before! just cause the labor to install a suncoast would be free per say, doesnt mean i want to right off soon!
You will not always get a code for solenoid issues. When was the last time you changed the fluid in your tranny? Have you watched your temps? Usually if its a wrong tune, it will not even allow your truck to go in to drive. You will only have park and reverse.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

8,000 miles i have not done a trans flush yet , temps have stayed very low, i have had the dash daq set up with the gauges since i bought it and trans temp is one of my monitors, most of the miles were easy miles this winter , i bought the truck new last fall . the hardest it has been run was for the trans relearns.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I dont know then. I have abused the hell out of my stock tranny with the Spartan 275, 310, and 350 tunes for over half of its 80,000 miles life and I am just now needing a Suncoast. I have only ever had the solenoid sticking issues. Never heard of the other issue your having. Maybe someone with a little more 5R knowledge will chime in.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the input , i know these are a fairly stout trans for a stock unit, my 6.0 had 130k when i bought it i ran a canned sct race tune every day and beat the everlivin snot out of it for almost another 20k before i traded it in and never had a problem other than reverse not always engaging but it did that since i bought it. but back to the issue at hand i pulled a few different parameters to watch and ill see what happens . cobraracing could have a point its possible there is a fluke with the relearn on some of these trucks , that could explain why it was almost exactly the same time length between loading both tunes and the "hiccup" who knows . i suppose i could revert back to the motto i had as a teenager " if it aint broke, fix it till it is!" that got kinda costly though!
Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well , the 275 ran fine untill today , i decided to reload the 310 and try again , before i finished the relearn it locked me out of high gear and threw a code for shift solenoid D performance or stuck off, and rear tire size or gear ratio incorrect? dropped back to the 275, ill be off to relearn after i eat lunch . i will update if there are issues , looks like my truck dont like the 310? any ideas , is this fixed by the spartan tcm or suncoast solenoid ?
Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Retuning the truck will get rid of the code usually. Sometimes you have to retune and drive it for awhile for it to go away. I bet if you drop the pan there would be more than the normal amount of clutch material in it. I would drop the pan, change the filter, and put all new fluid in it. I would like to know how much trash is in the pan and what the fluid looks like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.