XRT & DPF/CAT delete install - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
XRT & DPF/CAT delete install

Yesterday I Installed the XRT and dpf/cat delete, Heres how the install went.
First I plugged the tuner into the ECU, its a no brainer H&S walks you through the whole process, No step left me wondering "is that right or??", Very slick tuner. I left the power level at stock and did not start the motor because I hadnt removed the DPF/Cat Yet!!

Next I Got under the truck and dropped the DPF/Cat. it took me three hrs + and was a struggle but nothing that one guy cant do alone. I unplugged the three probes but left the pressure sensor attached when I wrenched off the threaded connector and broke the plastic pipe off the sensor doing it that way . Afterwards I saw that all I needed to do was remove the rubber hose off the connector and continue dropping the DPF/CAT pipes.

Next I started the engine up to make sure all was fine to this point, it was, so I loaded the mild tune (40HP) and took it for a spin around town AND Now 6.4liter tuned trucks are popping up from out of the Blue wanting to get it on off the stop lights. I wasnt able to do much with the little mild tune I was testing so I headed Home and Installed the two piece (bungless) Pipes in about 45minutes, Bolts right on and clamps to the Muffler Pipe.

I dont have any MPG numbers for the four tunes that come with the XRT But I will post them up as I get the readings for each tune.

The XRT is a superior tuner thats for sure. I got the tuner and DPF/Cat delete for under a K$ . What can I say,You bet Im happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Glad to hear you like the product. We are having great success with it thus far. It seems to hit the spot with the guys going for a free flowing exhaust and a little more HP for those times that you need some extra grunt to make that Cummins next to you at the stop light jealous.......
Old 05-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

XRT & DPF/CAT delete install

Sounds good. I just bought a 2009 (new) 6.4L, my first diesel. The dealership had me sign an acknowledgement that if I make and mods to the system that it would void the warranty. Wouldn't that be an issue with what you did?
Old 05-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpc0340 View Post
Sounds good. I just bought a 2009 (new) 6.4L, my first diesel. The dealership had me sign an acknowledgement that if I make and mods to the system that it would void the warranty. Wouldn't that be an issue with what you did?
If I should need warranty work done I would have to return to oem tune and reinstall the DPF/CAT, So yes , doing a DPF/CAT delete and tune is not for the faint of heart when it comes to potential problems requiring repairs under warranty. Tow into dealer from the road somewhere would put me in a spot that I will deal with if it happened, like everyone else who cant hack the Bogus and costly regen process.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via AIM to pistolpete837
sounds like a great setup, are you planning on running gauges? Ive heard that the xrt is designed so you dont have to?
Old 05-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Vettester

Thanks for the write up. If you would, please post follow ups as you have had more time to play. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the XRT. I have been toying with the idea of mounting the old DFP/CAT pipe under the truck somewhere so if I had a problem on the road I may be able to install it before it hits the dealer.

Current vette: 1954 - currently being restomodded.
Previous vettes 1968,69,80,87,2005

Last edited by haccpguy; 05-06-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Figured it out.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haccpguy View Post
Vettester

Thanks for the write up. If you would, please post follow ups as you have had more time to play. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on the XRT. I have been toying with the idea of mounting the old DFP/CAT pipe under the truck somewhere so if I had a problem on the road I may be able to install it before it hits the dealer.

Current vette: 1954 - currently being restomodded.
Previous vettes 1968,69,80,87,2005
That regen setup is a monster pipe!! If you had the facilities to Fab and Mount a carrier of some some sort under there, I might ask you "how much to make me one?? Haha.

Im looking forward to going from 12MPG to 18+ with the HOT 120HP tune, But will know exactly within another week . Ill post it in a new thread when I know.

What I do know is, I Had two quarts of diesel oil diluting my OIL supply within three thousand miles. I had taken the truck to the dealer the day before I started the delete, I asked them to see how much it was Overfilled. Now I can go up to five thousand miles before service without worry about how much fuel is in the oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by pistolpete837 View Post
sounds like a great setup, are you planning on running gauges? Ive heard that the xrt is designed so you dont have to?
The XRT is a no monitoring tuner , all the tunes are very safe so Monitoring is not a necessity. If a Monitor only box ever comes out for cheap, I might Buy it just to look at those temps and pressures.

Last edited by Vettester; 05-06-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Premium Member

If you want a fairly cheap moniter, check the Edge Insight, I have one and I like it.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry to bring up a old thread but now that you have had the tuner for a while are you still happy with it? I think I am about ready to pull the trigger next week. Thanks!
Old 08-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The XRT has actually became one of our most popular products as of late, we have actually had tons of feedback on these with mileage and it is the perfect tuner for those not looking for extreme power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.