6.4l engine build? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.4l engine build?

hope i posted this in the right place. Im looking to really build up my 08 and take the dpf off, i would like to know if people would be willing to share there experiences and what they are running and how it is going for them. any help or posts would be appreciated by me and im sure others have wondered the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 06:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
are you looking to build it or just take the dpf off and just tune it?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:40 PM

Powerstroker67's got a good write-up on doing the delete. It's stickied in this forum. Also, I've got a thread with pics of my delete here:

My Delete (with pics)
Old 05-04-2010, 06:47 PM

mdavis, yes i did see your write up and it helped alot, i am looking just to tune it and remove dpf and cat, i currently have airintake. But ive heard that the ford has problems with the injectors and i dont want to go try and add to much power and not do something i need to and blow a gasket or anything.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I recommend the Spartan tuner, a downpipe back exhaust, and an intake for starters. What else are you wanting to do?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Well, I guess the next step would be to pick which tuner you want to run. I picked Spartan because it's supposed to be less visible to Ford if you have to take it in for warranty work. Plus, I think the dashdaq is awesome. Other people choose other tuners for various reasons. If you do a quick search, you'll find countless threads arguing over which is the best. And if you're not careful, that's what this thread will turn into.

But from my own personal experience, I run the Spartan 210 tune. After talking extensively with a Spartan tech, who was using Spartan even before he was one of their techs, I decided on it. After a few tanks, I may try the 250 tune to see what the difference in MPG's is. From what I've gathered, if you've done your intake, your head bolts should be good for anything up to the Spartan 250 tune. For some of the higher tunes, you may consider a head bolt upgrade. Like you, adding a ton of power wasn't my main priority, but the higher tunes tend to get the best MPG's, ironically.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:29 PM

Dangit, Jeff. You hit submit about a millisecond before I did.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend a full downpipe back over just the delete pipe?
Old 05-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Welcome. As stated we try to be careful and not start any wars here. There are alot of Spartan guys in here and they have been around a while. I went sct livewire with a custome tunefrom river city diesel and absotuly love it, but I also got a steal on the tuner!! If I had to do it with all new parts I would go h&s mini maxx for 3 reasons
1. Free tunes whenever they come out with new ones. Thant mean new toys for free
2. Dpf delete pipe does not need the sensors. That means easy swap!
3. Shift on the fly. That means even if u were on a soft tune you could quickly change to kill that pesky ricer!!

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:46 PM

yeah, thanks that helps alot, i think im going to try something just like you have, seems pretty safe while getting the job done and then i can build from there. and jeff i also thank you for your responses i really just want to get the best potential out of my truck without upgrading alot but with the smallest amount of risk. And davis i know what you mean, i am very familiar with gm tuning and it is the same way with the tuning and the power, i just walked into a ford a little while back and am not familiar with them nearly as much as i am with gm, but thanks to you all i am getting to know enough.
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis203 View Post
Dangit, Jeff. You hit submit about a millisecond before I did.

Out of curiosity, why do you recommend a full downpipe back over just the delete pipe?
I think its easier to just take the full stock exhaust out together and then put a full aftermarket exhaust in its place. A delete pipe with the stock DPF back exhaust can settle over time from the heat and soot produced and it can be hell taking them apart if you need to go back to stock. Its just a personal preference really.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.