Bad News in California - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad News in California

Just recieved my registration on my 08 and what do ya know, please take it to get smogged. I am going back to stock to get it smogged and back to the 275 it'll go but what a waste of time and money. between smogging and registration it is almost $700.! I am liking my 52 willy's more and more, $52 for registration and $120 for insurance for the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor-CalF250 View Post
Just recieved my registration on my 08 and what do ya know, please take it to get smogged. I am going back to stock to get it smogged and back to the 275 it'll go but what a waste of time and money. between smogging and registration it is almost $700.! I am liking my 52 willy's more and more, $52 for registration and $120 for insurance for the year!
Just wait until you go do the smog. It is such a joke! They visually inspect for stock exhaust, scan for codes, then do a "smoke test" to see how much and how far smoke blows from the tail pipe!

Just another Comifornia scam to get our money!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Yeah, Nevada just started smogging diesels last June. I'm headed in on Thursday. Should be OK since I'm stock. Just a pain in the butt and a waste of money.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It's been that way for years here in AZ. My last trip through, they literally were looking for a reason to fail me. They must have spent about 15 minutes looking for all my EGR components.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM

That sucks. Still none here in Texas. And since I just bought the truck new, it came with a 2 year state inspection so I am good until March of 2012!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:49 PM

does your DPF/Cat come off pretty easy, therefore easy to put back on? With the cummins I had to remove the EGR/EGR cooler, the downpipe, and then the DPF. It would be a nightmare to put back on. Moving closer to getting a 2010 PS and from what I've read it's a little easier process.
Old 05-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

none here in AK for diesels, this state is pretty relaxed when it comes to all the reg. and smog crap
Old 05-04-2010, 01:01 PM

I installed the Black Maxx, 4" downpipe back Pro-Flo exhaust and S&B intake all in 2.5 hours. I would imagine the exhaust would be the only thing that needed to go back in. I think the intake is emissions legal I believe and the Black Maxx just unplugs. You don't remove the EGR on the Ford, they just turn it off in the tune. From what I am learning, the EGR acts as a wastegate on the Ford and you can't simply remove it, if I understand correctly.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Black Cummins View Post
does your DPF/Cat come off pretty easy, therefore easy to put back on? With the cummins I had to remove the EGR/EGR cooler, the downpipe, and then the DPF. It would be a nightmare to put back on. Moving closer to getting a 2010 PS and from what I've read it's a little easier process.
Wow. That sounds like something GM would do! Didn't know Dodge made things that difficult for their Tech's/warranty work at the dealers.

Anyway, yeah, the entire Ford exhaust could be swapped out in under and hour.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM

This is crap. Good thread though, I just remembered my reg. is due at the end of May and I have not seen it in the mail.
But what happened to not smogging cars for the first five years?
I guess since Nazi Cali. is in the bucket, lets just stick it to the ones paying for everything already to pay for more.
Couple guys at work got them with 06 Fords.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.