THIRD RADIATOR - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
THIRD RADIATOR

This is the third radiator my truck eats I want to get an all aluminum radiator but I cant find anyone that makes one. Can anyone lead me in the right direction. Does anyone have a performance radiator in there truck. Any info could help.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Spearco is the best one on the market!

Air Delivery
Old 05-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I believe there was a TSB that addressed repeat failures of the radiator on a 6.4l and said the problem could be result of the thermostats.

TSB
09-23-1 6.4L DIESEL ENGINES - REPEAT RADIATOR LEAK - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 9/14/2009

Publication Date: November 9, 2009

FORD: 2008-2010 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2008-2010 F-Super Duty vehicles built on or before 9/14/2009 and equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit repeat radiator leaks due to malfunctioning (hyper-extended) high temperature thermostats.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Verify the coolant leak is from the radiator, refer to pin point test (PPT) A found in the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-03.
Verify the venturi tee is installed.
If installed, confirm it is installed correctly (note - orientation direction on part). Refer to applicable Field Service Action (FSA) for vehicle built on or before 5/15/2008.
If not installed, install per applicable FSA on vehicles built on or before 5/15/2008.
Prepare the vehicle for a test drive.
If the coolant leak at the radiator is large enough to cause an unsafe test drive or potential for engine/vehicle damage, proceed to Step 5.
Before driving the vehicle confirm the coolant level is at minimum level or above in the degas bottle. If required add 50/50 mix to coolant bottle.
Test Drive - use an Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) or equivalent and monitor engine oil temperature (EOT) and engine coolant temperature (ECT) parameter identifiers (PIDS).
With EOT at 195 F (91 C) drive on the highway unloaded at 55-70 MPH (89-113 Km/h) constant speed to observe EOT and ECT temp.
Test results/next steps:
If EOT is less than 8 F (4.4 C) higher than ECT, and the coolant temp fluctuates roughly 5 F (2.7 C) - the thermostats are okay and do not need to be replaced. Replace just the radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 (Engine Cooling).
If EOT exceeds ECT by greater than 8 F (4.4 C) or if the ECT readings fluctuate 10 to 12 F (5.55-6.66 C) roughly every 30 seconds - replace both thermostats and radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 (Engine Cooling).
If vehicle is not drivable and the coolant leak is found to be from the radiator, remove and replace both thermostats and radiator. Refer to WSM, Section 303-03 for both radiator and thermostat removal procedure and approved cooling system draining, filling and bleeding procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-8575-D Thermostat Assembly
8C3Z-8009-B Radiator Assembly

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
092301A 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Pressure Test Cooling System, Road Test, Monitor PIDS, Replace The Radiator (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.0 Hrs.
092301B 2008-2010 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Pressure Test Cooling System, Road Test, Monitor PIDS, Replace The Radiator, And Thermostats (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 3.8 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
8575 42
Old 05-03-2010, 07:24 PM

This is very interesting, I am on my 5th radiator, and I think my truck runs pretty dang hot. Pulling hard it can get up to 222 deg., and the factory gauge never moves!!!! I wonder if I can get my dealer to change out my thermostat with out having to put my DPF back on? I think I will ask them, they know I did a DPF delete and don't seem to care. What kind of temps are you other guys seeing on your trucks??
Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I never see above 200 degrees no matter how hard I run it. I don't tow though. That is running the piss out of it with the 275, 310, and 350 tunes though.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM

I have seen 200-205 when towing in the mountains.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:00 AM

I've hit 225 when towing in mountains.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Spearco is the best one on the market!

Air Delivery
Radiator
Old 05-04-2010, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaddox View Post
Radiator
Im going take the truck in and see if they will look at the thermostat. if not im just going to drop a bad *** all aluminum radiator!!!!!
Old 01-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Cool

The reason it is breaking repeatedly is that the radiator is mounted to the frame and the body and the frame and body flex which cracks the radiator. The only fix I know of is too make the radiator mounts loose so that the radiator has some movement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.