My DPF Delete (With Pics) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My DPF Delete (With Pics)

Today, I did the DPF/Cat delete and thought I'd post my experience. I followed Powerstroker67's steps (Spartan Installation Advice) with a few exceptions. For one, I unplugged my EGT sensors and dropped the pipe as opposed to removing them then dropping the pipe. Also, I purchased two new EGT sensors (part #8C3Z-12B591-D) and used them in the middle and rear position. For the front sensor, I reused the one in the stock system. Here are my tools, ready to go:

Got the creeper, new sensors, flare nut wrenches, anti-sieze (used heavily), ratchet straps, PB Blaster, and Powerstroker's delete pipe (and the Michelob, of course). What's not shown here are the 13mm and 15mm deep sockets that I stopped in the middle of the job to go buy. I highly recommend getting them before-hand. Normal sockets won't work. Also not shown is the univeral joint for the socket wrench which is extremely necessary for getting to the upper bolt on the flange to the down-pipe.

In preparation, I sprayed everything I was going to take loose every night for three days with PB Blaster. I had started with Liquid Wrench for about a week, but when I crawled under the truck to test one of the EGT sensors, it still wouldn't budge. So I switched to the PB Blaster three days before doing the job. On the day of the job, the first thing I did was unplug all three EGT sensors. Then I removed the 15mm bolt holding the pressure sensor bracket on and removed the pressure sensor. Then, I removed the nuts off of the three hangars (8 in all). Before I went any further, I used a ratchet strap to support the DPF. Then, I loosened the clamp holding the DPF pipe to the rear exhaust system. I had forgotten to PB Blast this one, so I had so problems with it. Once that was loose, I used another ratchet strap around the muffler to pull the rear exhaust pipe from the DPF pipe and moved it out of the way. The last part of the removal was taking the two bolts out on the flange to the down-pipe. The upper one is extremely hard to get to. I ended up using a 6" and 3" extension and the universal joint on my socket wrench. Once this is loose, I tried to very slowly lower the DPF by loosening the ratchet strap that was holding it up. #%@$, that thing is heavy! Make sure you don't have a finger or leg or head or something up under it when you're lowering it. I dragged the DPF/Cat assembly out from under the truck, set it on the creeper, and rolled it into the garage. Here's a pic of it next to Powerstroker's delete pipe:

Anyone know what the black cylinder toward the front is? Also, I thought it'd be cool to post a shot of the inside of the DPF for those who haven't seen it. This is a shot down the pipe from the rear:

That looks restrictive as hell. No wonder it's an mpg-killer.

Installing the delete pipe was much easier than taking the stock system out. I slid it above one of the cross braces and used a ratchet strap to set the approximate height in the rear. I barely started the two bolts on the downpipe flange. Then, I attached the delete pipe to the rear exhaust system. I used a ratchet strap to pull the muffler forward this time to slide the end of the delete pipe in far enough. You have to wiggle the joint up and down while pulling with the ratchet strap. Once it's in far enough, I tightened the clamp. Then I tightened up on the two bolts on the downpipe flange. I then attached the pressure sensor bracket to the delete pipe and slid the pressure sensor hose back onto the nipple. Finally, I plugged the three EGT sensors in. The finished product looks like this:

While I was running to the parts store to get the deep sockets, I installed the Spartan 210 dpf-off tune:

And that's pretty much it. This took me about three hours. However, I took many breaks, stopped to take pictures, and had one parts store/beer run. So it was probably 1.5-2 hours of actual work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 PM
KING of BLING!

Looks very nice. And I am sure it woke the truck up a good bit.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:34 PM

That darn high bolt on the down pipe is a pain in the a$$!!! Ive had to take my delete off and re-install my DPF three times! With a lift and all the tools I need, I could swap them out in about 35 minutes! First time to delete to about 3 hours, but I was doing it on a shop floor. A lift will cut your time in half or more easy!!!

Nice job on pictures and info. Hopefully this will help the Noobs out!!! Maby become a Sticky......... Peace and Love!
Old 05-01-2010, 01:39 PM

Thanks! Yeah, a lift would've been awesome. I doubt the wife would let me install one in our garage, though. This work was done in my driveway with a POS creeper. Now that everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) is put back together with anti-seize, I'm hoping the next time I have to do the swap will go much quicker.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Great pics. That black canister is just a counter-balance for all the ridiculous weight.

Sound a little more like a diesel now?
Old 05-01-2010, 03:30 PM

Nice write-up! One problem. There isnt nearly enough beer in the "tool" picture.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
That's because it was the last one left...he said he had to make a beer run lol!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustTruck View Post
Great pics. That black canister is just a counter-balance for all the ridiculous weight.

Sound a little more like a diesel now?
Very much so. The "swoosh" sound at the exhaust by itself is worth the work. Thanks for the info on the black cylinder. Was wondering what that was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rock View Post
Nice write-up! One problem. There isnt nearly enough beer in the "tool" picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
That's because it was the last one left...he said he had to make a beer run lol!
Exactly.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:10 PM

Thanks for the info....going to do the same next week but will make sure and get extra beer!
Old 05-01-2010, 11:50 PM

How many miles do you have on your truck? Your DPF looks like it is in a lot better shape than mine is/was. It was a little more rusted, and the cat opening has about an 1/8" of soot covering the inside of the pipe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.