Problem After DPF-delete and Spartan tune. Need help ASAP. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problem After DPF-delete and Spartan tune. Need help ASAP.

I did the DPF/cat delete today, and everything seemed to go smoothly. Powerstroker's pipe installed well and looks good. I installed the 210 dpf-off tune, and cranked it up. It cranked fine. I ran it for about 30 seconds, then shut it off. A little bit later, I started to crank it to creep under the truck and listen for exhaust leaks, and it wouldn't make a sound. It's throwing 4 DTC's:

P0546, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1000, OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
P2033, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 2
P242D, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 3

I checked the three EGT probes and they were plugged in fine. The rear one was slightly bent, due to the wire being short, since it's lower now. I unhooked the bracket holding the wire to give it a little slack. (I'll secure it with a tie-wrap when I get this problem resolved.) The middle and rear probes are brand new. The front one is from the stock exhaust.

If anyone can help, please post here or PM me. If anyone knows how to get in touch with Aaron from Rudy's, please PM me as well. I hate to sound desperate, but rain's coming tonight, so my window to work on it is getting short.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavis203 View Post
I did the DPF/cat delete today, and everything seemed to go smoothly. Powerstroker's pipe installed well and looks good. I installed the 210 dpf-off tune, and cranked it up. It cranked fine. I ran it for about 30 seconds, then shut it off. A little bit later, I started to crank it to creep under the truck and listen for exhaust leaks, and it wouldn't make a sound. It's throwing 4 DTC's:

P0546, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1000, OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete
P2033, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 2
P242D, Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor Circuit High - Bank 1 Sensor 3

I checked the three EGT probes and they were plugged in fine. The rear one was slightly bent, due to the wire being short, since it's lower now. I unhooked the bracket holding the wire to give it a little slack. (I'll secure it with a tie-wrap when I get this problem resolved.) The middle and rear probes are brand new. The front one is from the stock exhaust.

If anyone can help, please post here or PM me. If anyone knows how to get in touch with Aaron from Rudy's, please PM me as well. I hate to sound desperate, but rain's coming tonight, so my window to work on it is getting short.

Thanks in advance!
It sounds like the truck got started with the EGT sensors unplugged. You should be able to either go back to stock and then load a DPF Delete tune again, or you can jump the starter.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Did you have the sensors unplugged at any point with the Key in the ON position? That will sometimes throw the truck in to "limp" mode and wont let you start it. If this is the case do the following:

Under your hood to the rear of the passenger side battery you will find a brown wire with a light green tracer. Un plug the black pinch connector on this wire. The Male side of the connector needs to be touched to 12v positive side of the battery. You can use a small piece of wire with both ends stripped. You must have your key on during this, and the truck will start and run. ONce the truck is running, re-connect the brown/green wire and you are good to go.

If you have not had the key on during the install it may be a sensor issue. (doubt this since you have 2 new sensors). If it does happen to be a sensor issue, you can temporarily get the truck going by replacing the sensors with 330ohm resistors. 1/4 or 1/2 watt will work fine. You will have to find a way to tap into your factory wires and just connect the two wires of each EGT sensor together. Then see if the truck starts, if not, turn the key on and jump the starter as mentioned above. If the 330ohm fixes it, you had some issues with connection on the EGT probes, or need new ones.

Hope this helps! Good luck with it
Old 05-01-2010, 01:54 PM

If you can't get it going call me. 828-702-3461
Old 05-01-2010, 01:55 PM

Does the spartan dpf delete setup have to have the sensors installed in the pipe to work properly?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMotoRider1 View Post
Does the spartan dpf delete setup have to have the sensors installed in the pipe to work properly?
All but the pressure sensor.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:24 PM

With Aaron's guidance, I jump-started it. It looks like the problem was that I tried to load the tune while I was doing the work. Therefore, key was on while the sensors were unplugged.

Strange that it cranked fine the first time, though. Oh well... running fine now. It's a shame I'm too buzzed after drinking and wrenching to take it out to do the tranny relearn.

On to the AFE install!!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Dont have anything to add just wanted to give props to Rudys and H&S for the quick responses to help you out. Seems like good people!!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:08 PM

Yeah. Aaron was very quick to respond. Great customer service from Rudy's.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just installed my spartan and dpf delete today, and i did the same thing, while the software loaded i changed the exhaust. had the sensors unplugged and swapped with key on the whole time. Fired right up and ran no problem. Its been shut off and started at like 6 times since then. BTW lie-o-meter went from 12mpg to 23.6 mpg highway. Cant wait to hand calculate. 08 450 with 4:88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.