driveway head studs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 07:01 PM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question driveway head studs

i saw this in a diesel mag but was wondering if it is possible on our trucks....in other words has any normal person tried this in their driveway?the featured truck was a 6.4 if my memory serves me correctly but still a mag doing a feature more than likely isnt working with the same tools joe smoe is.anyway i was wondering if anyone has thrown in some studs at the house,if its worth doing if you dont have a head issue(i.e. should i wait for the gasket to go first),and info about the job such as time to complete,difficulty,and how many times you didnt want your kids right there to hear the big boy words?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Diesel Addict

Send a message via MSN to CanuckF350
Curious about this too!
Subscribing.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:41 PM
<<< 6.4 Powersmoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08pwrstrokr6.4 View Post
i saw this in a diesel mag but was wondering if it is possible on our trucks....in other words has any normal person tried this in their driveway?the featured truck was a 6.4 if my memory serves me correctly but still a mag doing a feature more than likely isnt working with the same tools joe smoe is.anyway i was wondering if anyone has thrown in some studs at the house,if its worth doing if you dont have a head issue(i.e. should i wait for the gasket to go first),and info about the job such as time to complete,difficulty,and how many times you didnt want your kids right there to hear the big boy words?
Who says your HG's are going to blow? I sure hope that I never have to replace my Head Gaskets. I no longer run my 275, or 310 tunes so I hope that will keep my truck from blowing the HG's. You shouldn't have to worry about it unless you run a tune above the 275, correct guys?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The truck that this was done to ended up getting the heads removed and had new gaskets put in when it had some work done at Elite. His gaskets weren't blown though, so it did work. When the studs were done, the gaskets were fresh and only had a few hundred miles on them I believe. If a lot of miles are on the gaskets, don't do it.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It takes about 8 hours if you're mechanically inclined. Longer if you're not that good. But it can be done.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:15 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

well if thats the case ill just wait til they blow and put the studs in.i mean im pretty good at turn a wrench on a helo but you know the first time you do something you always do it a little slower than it should take.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you know the possibilities of what could happen if one does go? That is not something I would want to wait for to happen. Could be buying a lot more than a new gasket...
Old 04-29-2010, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

8 hrs. is what it took me to do the first time. If you work on whirly birds it shouldn't be a problem for you.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:38 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

yea but also i could risk one going after i do it if i dont torque them right.so its a possible lose lose situation.plus i havent heard that many problems out of the 6.4 side of the house about puking unless they are running the spartan high race tunes....and i dont plan on doing that.gonna get me a mini maxx and run a mild or hot tune.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:42 AM
shhhhh, can you hear it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
The truck that this was done to ended up getting the heads removed and had new gaskets put in when it had some work done at Elite. His gaskets weren't blown though, so it did work. When the studs were done, the gaskets were fresh and only had a few hundred miles on them I believe. If a lot of miles are on the gaskets, don't do it.
by a lot you mean?where should the cut off point be...i got right around 50,000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.