I think my transmission is going out. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:53 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I think my transmission is going out.

I went to the track last weekend and the best I could manage was a 13.30 at 99mph. During the last pass it shifted harder than usual going into 3rd I think. I didn't think anything of it and when I was on the return road I heard a weird metal rattling type of noise. It came and went a couple of times so I just babied it back home. I haven't drove much since last weekend until tonight. I pulled up into my gun dealer's driveway and I could not put it into Park. It wouldn't go past reverse or drive. I kept trying and it finally went. I left there about 30 mins later and shifted from park thru drive a couple of times with no issues. I drove 30 miles to Kinkos and it did the same thing again and I could barely get it back into park. While sitting at the stop light I let off the brakes and it did not move. I pushed on the gas and it downshifted hard and moved forward. When I left Kinkos there were no issues getting it in drive. The transmission temps did not get over 173. I got to the stop light a couple of miles from my house and it did not down shift again. Taking off almost felt like it was slipping. I ran the codes and got a p1000, p0766, and p2703. Has anybody had any issues like this? I was running the extreme race tune from Innovative. This is my first time with any tranny issues. Oh and I just had the transmission flushed a couple days before I took it to the track. The truck has just under 30k on it. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new transmission. If so guess I'll be calling Suncoast. Sorry for such a long post. The good news is my stamps came back from the ATF for my 3 cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sorry about the tranny but I wanna know about the cans and what they are goin on I to am a gun nut!
Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 AM

lol thanks. Taking it to the dealership. I have a POF .308 and GAP built DPMS for the AAC SCARH-SD, Custom built RRA AR15 for the AAC SPR-M4, and GAP built bolt action .308 on their Templar action for the AAC Cyclone.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:33 PM

Went to the dealership today to get an update on the truck. I talked to the mechanic who is working on it. I told him what problems I was having. He said when he got in the truck to try to move it that it wouldn't move. He revved it up and it finally moved in reverse. He put it in drive and it seemed fine. He is going to take it out tomorrow and drive it to see if it starts messing up again. He asked if I had a tuner on it right now and I said no. He said good in case we have to replace the TCM I don't want to mess it up. He thinks it might be a solenoid. Hopefully that's all it is. They haven't tore into it yet but he said the tranny fluid looked brand new.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:12 PM

This is exactly how my trans died. Right down to the part about going to the track as well as all the same symptoms you described. I pulled the trans pan drain plug to check out the fluid and a steady flow of metal debris came rushing out. This was a month ago and my truck has not moved since.

Good luck with your trans, but I think you're screwed. Then again, this is what we should expect running tunes like this. It's only a matter of time.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 PM

lol thanks. That sucks about your truck too. What did you get figured out about yours? Did you take it to the dealership?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedog90 View Post
lol thanks. That sucks about your truck too. What did you get figured out about yours? Did you take it to the dealership?
I have been waiting on Sun Coast to release there new low/reverse drum assembly for our trucks. When my truck broke they said it was 2 weeks out. Well it has been a month and it's still 2 weeks out. I'm getting tired of waiting to be honest.

I have a full Sun Coast Super Duty rebuild kit with billet input/intermediate shaft waiting to go in. I'm going to have the trans tech at my local Ford dealer do the work. I wont be asking for any warranty coverage.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:12 PM

I had the similar problem I was running my truck hard one weekend at some sand dunes. I had the spartan 250 4hi ,job1, 28k miles,with 37", on it. When I was time to go back to 2hi. The tranny didnt want to go forward only reverse, I got frustrated and WOT that only moved the truck forward about 6inchs. From there I remember someone on this forum had a similar problem and said to load the stock file. So i loaded the stock file about 30mins later the truck worked fine. So right after the tranny was good I loaded the 210 tuner and its been running fine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.