Truck wont start....... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck wont start.......

ok trading truck off and i decided to trade my buddy my exhaust, sct , and cold air for his stock stuff. both trucks are swapped and now neither one will start. mine went right back to stock fine with no issues. both trucks started once and wont start again. any help would be appreciated. mine is an 08 and his is a 09. thanks for any info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It has something to do with starting it without having the sensors in the exhaust hooked up. if you turn the key on and jump a screwdriver across the starter it will start and clear it then you should be fine or you can disconnect the batteries for like 2 hours and it should start.
Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM

Can a veteran here on this 6.4 matter please post up a sticky on this so that its there for all to see? I have read several ways of getting the truck to start after a DPF/CAT delete is done and I too would l like to be confident in doing mine as well before I start the procedure. I feel it's important that we all know what to do before we start the delete process and before we start the truck for the first time.I feel this would be of great help to all. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

also i did leave my sensors in my exhaust and his and his so another words he has my sensors and i have his. i dont know if this would matter but i thought i would throw it out there. thanks for the info so far. i thought about the starter jump thing but then i couldnt figure out why it would be necessary.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01powerstroke View Post
also i did leave my sensors in my exhaust and his and his so another words he has my sensors and i have his. i dont know if this would matter but i thought i would throw it out there. thanks for the info so far. i thought about the starter jump thing but then i couldnt figure out why it would be necessary.
You did plug them into their respective harnesses?? I know from experience, there are several versions of the sensors with different part numbers issued by Ford.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Most commonly it will be a sensor unplugged problem. Most Ford Flashes require the rearmost EGT sensor to be plugged in. When un-plugged it will send an extreme temperature reading to the ECU and cause the truck to "limp" mode. If you are confident that all of the sensors are plugged in correctly, you may have a programming problem. When you returned your truck to stock with the SCT, there could have been a problem and left the engine, or the TCM in an unfinished condition. Did you try to program the truck the SCT will be going onto? If his has not been touched with the programmer, and still will not start, you have to have a sensor problem.

Swapping the sensors between the two trucks should not be a problem, I have done it in the past many times. If you want to be 100% sure, just stick the sensors back in the original truck to see.

If your key was on at any point during the exhaust swap, that will also cause the truck to limp mode. Some flashes require the truck to start and recognize the problem has been fixed once before it will start again. If this is the case, and you have cycled both trucks keys with the sensors unplugged do this: under the hood by the passenger side battery there is a brown wire with a light green stripe. There is a black push-connection on this wire. pinch the connector together and disconnect the wire. Turn your key on. Take the previously disconnected male end of the wire and use a piece of wire to connect it to the positive side of the battery. The truck will crank and start. Re-connect the brown w/green wire and turn the key off. Now see if the truck will start with the key.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks for the replies. it must be a sensor problem i am going to try all this in the am. i did start my buddies truck with all the sensors unplugged to move it, but my truck i did not.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks alot to everyone who replied. the wire jump trick worked. you learn something new every day i guess.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

I also like the idea of of a sticky describing how not to make mistakes in the Dpf delete and tune process. And the possibilities of what to do if the truck doesnt start. The brown wire with pale green trick has proved excellent!! who would of thunk it..no Noobs thats for sure. Good info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.