Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

H&S Black Maxx feedback/issues?

7K views 49 replies 14 participants last post by  TripleE44 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I wanted to ask those of you that have put some miles on the Black Maxx if you have had any issues or feedback on using it while towing. Any transmission issues or codes being thrown? I am planning on deleting/tuning soon and I thought I was 100% sure it was going to be with a Spartan setup, but now there seems to be more people surfacing with shifting issues and blown HG. I dont want to start a thread that is a pissing match, just looking for honest feedback from members that are using H&S... thanks guys

#2 ·
Mine works pretty good on my truck...... but then again I may be slightly biased :doh:

There are some new things coming down the road for the H&S users. We will be releasing some more bolt on parts for the Ford guys out there.

Either route you travel I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how well the truck performs. I was amazed the first time i drove a tune 6.4.

#4 ·
I'm not looking to have my F350 break any 1/4 mile times, I bought it to tow and I just want to get a tuner that will make pulling hills easier, give me better mileage, and above all, not break parts. What is the recommended tune to tow on with the BM? Thanks again for your input.

#5 ·
I can't say enough great things about H&S and the Black Maxx. I have ran mine for about 5k and the milage is awsome and the power is unreal. I have not had any types of codes and my tranny is holding up great. EGT's stay in check and the shift-on-the-fly works perfect. With H&S you don't have to use the exhaust sensors and unlike others all the updates and higher tuning are free. I had the XRT on my 6.7 Cummins when it came out and it was also awsome so I'll be sticking with them. If you want a small increase I would check out their XRT for the 6.4 It goes up to 120HP and you can still do deletes and change on the fly you just have to plug it in and your done. IMO H&S is the best when it comes to service and performance. I feel their tunes are safe even if you drive the piss out of your rig. Later.

#7 ·
I've done some pretty heavy towing with my truck and the Black Maxx tuner. I ran the Mild setting, was plenty of truck to keep 8,000lb trailer running 75-80mph with the cruise set. That includes a couple pretty nasty 6% grades around here in Utah. Mileage was still pretty good as well. Transmission in tow/haul mode and running great. Been very happy with my decision to go H&S

#9 ·
First let me say that I have nothing bad to say about the H&S and from what I read people love it.
Now though I just want to say that I run the spartan 250 tune or lower and have no problems whatsoever. I know countless people that run the exact same setup and have absolutely no problems for many many miles. I'm not here to push spartan, I'm just trying to clarify the misunderstandings of a new member with 12 posts. Either tuner will make you happy, just don't believe the small amount of problems being posted by people who are running much higher hp race tunes.

#10 ·
Mine works great. I love that you can change when the torque converter locks up . Also I have read issues with people not being able to get the sensors out of the DPF to switch over to the delete pipe. With the H&S you don't need them. Just left them in my DPF when I pulled it. I also run the mild setting, but love the fact I can switch when it looks like someone is going to bother me at the light.

#15 ·
I dont want to start a thread that is a pissing match, just looking for honest feedback from members that are using H&S... thanks guys
08TWIN6.4L, I think you've got the right idea....
It really would be nice to get a thread about H&S products without having posts from the Spartan guys.

#16 ·
Thanks man! I did'nt want to piss anyone off but when you start mixing H&S and Spartan in the same thread it usually gets bad. Some Spartan guys act like if someone buys H&S the world will explode.:dunno:

#21 ·
Well, there goes that thread. Good try Kevin, but apparently we can't just have an H&S thread, even though you specifically said all you wanted to hear was stuff about the Black Maxx.

#27 ·
I'm sorry but I keep reading this thread and haven't found where someone said something bad about H&S. I even tried to get it back on track but comments like that keep derailing it. I didn't come in here to start trouble. I wanted to hear about the black maxx, just thought it was pretty rude someone was told to leave their opinions out. I am considering one myself.

Now back to the topic. Do you still have to splice to get power or has anyone found a better way?

#22 ·
as far as the so and so guys go bashing on each other goes i think they should learn that one person or even a group of people's opinions and experience with a product is not an insult on their judgment because they decided to go with something else.different products exist for different reasons and it is a consumers best interest to seek info before buying.if you are a person possessing a different product than is being asked about i say give an opinion of your experience without insulting anyone elses judgment or smashing the guy for asking about it such as the spartan response was made.and everyone else that doesnt agree can respond with their experiences.people are not here to learn why you think he shouldnt post in such and such thread.its forum for finding out technical info on a product or part for a truck not a pissing contest between too people sitting at a computer screen.i know who wins that one....the administrator.everyone else this doesnt apply to thank you for the wealth of knowledge and helping another newbie make a better decision(myself being a newbie included).

#23 ·
Well....If you go back and read MY post, you will see the first thing I say is that I have not heard anything bad about the H&S and considered getting it myself.
If you go back and read the OPs first post you will see that he mentioned he has heard of spartan tunes having HG and tranny issues. He has probably gotten this from narrow minded individuals that don't like a little variety in their lives and only post about problems without stating the contributing factors. I've only stated my individual findings which in all honesty I could care less if he wiped his arse with....I'm just here to help someone who is new to this forum make the best decision for himself. I didn't say spartan was better I just tried to clear up some misgivings. Good day.

#29 ·
:gr_bs: You grabbed ahold of this post like a kid onto a snickers Bar . Where do you get Off telling anyone where there Place is or isnt. Here's some pee on your shoe, ahh thanks for the invite....

#25 ·
ive had too much...damn the army's hydration policy now all i do is piss every five mins

#26 ·
i honestly believe it depends on what you want out of your truck...for example i want a mild mod thatll boost me to about 500 hp and 800 lbs.im gonna use it for daily driving and i want the h&s for performance.if i was gonna drag my truck i would go spartan and i have seen that alot of guys racing are doing that.to me it makes sense.i dont want to race but i want the better fuel economy and a lil power in case i need it.of course im a newbie to diesel so i dont know much about what im saying but thats the opinions ive come up with from my research.i havent found any problems caused strictly by either tuner but i have seen more things posted with spartans but most of those guys are going for big power and that leads to big breaks no matter what you drive or tune

#28 ·
Exactly my point...I just erased alot of typing LOL. I was going to explain alot of differences but the choice is ultimately yours. I did alot of reading on this site before I ever started posting or asking questions. If you read enough you will make the best decision. Good luck :thumb:

#31 ·
on topic please.....anyway whats with the power wire splice....maybe i misread the install instructions but i dont remember seeing that

#34 ·
now that i see it in your pics i remember it in the instructions...funny how that works.damn my mind

#35 ·
First off, let me say thanks to everyone for their input. While I do think that most people on this board have good intentions with the posts they make, I was hoping to get more specific info on the H&S stuff. Even though I only have 12 posts, I have been on this board since 2007. I think I have a good idea of what the Spartan can do and I have grasp on its strengths when compared to the other tuners on the market. However, the only thing I really knew about H&S was how professionally they represented themselves when they came into this forum to solicit information. My thought was that these guys seem pretty legit and I am interested in finding out as much as I can about their tuners before I purchase. Thanks again to everyone, I have really learned a great deal of information about my truck because of all of your posts over the last couple of years!

#36 ·
I don't have any experience with the H&S yet because I ordered it and its sitting in my garage and won't be installed till monday. However I went with them because of the way their customer support has been on here. The shift on the fly, the transmission tuning, plus I just liked the overall look of the unit. Also a big plus is the ability to update and get new tunes for free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.