H&S Black Maxx feedback/issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
H&S Black Maxx feedback/issues?

Hey guys, I wanted to ask those of you that have put some miles on the Black Maxx if you have had any issues or feedback on using it while towing. Any transmission issues or codes being thrown? I am planning on deleting/tuning soon and I thought I was 100% sure it was going to be with a Spartan setup, but now there seems to be more people surfacing with shifting issues and blown HG. I dont want to start a thread that is a pissing match, just looking for honest feedback from members that are using H&S... thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Mine works pretty good on my truck...... but then again I may be slightly biased

There are some new things coming down the road for the H&S users. We will be releasing some more bolt on parts for the Ford guys out there.

Either route you travel I think you will be pleasantly surprised on how well the truck performs. I was amazed the first time i drove a tune 6.4.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have yet tow any real loads, but what I have I had no problems at all. However, I live in a pretty flat state so I can't comment on how it will do on large grades.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:56 PM

I'm not looking to have my F350 break any 1/4 mile times, I bought it to tow and I just want to get a tuner that will make pulling hills easier, give me better mileage, and above all, not break parts. What is the recommended tune to tow on with the BM? Thanks again for your input.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:33 PM

I can't say enough great things about H&S and the Black Maxx. I have ran mine for about 5k and the milage is awsome and the power is unreal. I have not had any types of codes and my tranny is holding up great. EGT's stay in check and the shift-on-the-fly works perfect. With H&S you don't have to use the exhaust sensors and unlike others all the updates and higher tuning are free. I had the XRT on my 6.7 Cummins when it came out and it was also awsome so I'll be sticking with them. If you want a small increase I would check out their XRT for the 6.4 It goes up to 120HP and you can still do deletes and change on the fly you just have to plug it in and your done. IMO H&S is the best when it comes to service and performance. I feel their tunes are safe even if you drive the piss out of your rig. Later.
Old 04-16-2010, 08:56 PM

I really like mine, I run the hot tune daily with the tc lockup at 55. When I tow I use the wild setting and it tows awesome. I would recomend it.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:30 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've done some pretty heavy towing with my truck and the Black Maxx tuner. I ran the Mild setting, was plenty of truck to keep 8,000lb trailer running 75-80mph with the cruise set. That includes a couple pretty nasty 6% grades around here in Utah. Mileage was still pretty good as well. Transmission in tow/haul mode and running great. Been very happy with my decision to go H&S
Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM

Sounds good so far... Thanks for the feedback!
Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 PM

First let me say that I have nothing bad to say about the H&S and from what I read people love it.
Now though I just want to say that I run the spartan 250 tune or lower and have no problems whatsoever. I know countless people that run the exact same setup and have absolutely no problems for many many miles. I'm not here to push spartan, I'm just trying to clarify the misunderstandings of a new member with 12 posts. Either tuner will make you happy, just don't believe the small amount of problems being posted by people who are running much higher hp race tunes.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 AM

Mine works great. I love that you can change when the torque converter locks up . Also I have read issues with people not being able to get the sensors out of the DPF to switch over to the delete pipe. With the H&S you don't need them. Just left them in my DPF when I pulled it. I also run the mild setting, but love the fact I can switch when it looks like someone is going to bother me at the light.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.