Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Black Maxx TC Lockup and MPG.

3K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  colfaxent 
#1 ·
I am just curious...where you guys have the TC lock up at and what is your MPG. I see all of these decent MPG's being posted and I only see 10-12 with easy driving and wondering if having my TC lockup at 45 is the reason. I do understand that having my lift and 37's does not help things, but would not mind having a bit more MPG. I have it set to firm shifting also and have run the tuner on all settings with the same results. Not a big deal since I did not buy the truck for the MPG, but wouldn't mind getting a bit more. Thanks in advance!!

#2 ·
Mine is set a 50MPH and last road trip I ended up with 17.2MPG. A 50/50 mix I'll get around 14.8-15. It's just your tires and lift Bro. I just don't believe the guys with a setup like yours saying they get 17-18MPG.

#4 ·
I get a constant 13/15mpg and am happy with that since thats about what I got stock. Now it would be different if I had only done a leveling kit would be closer to 16-18 city and about 22hwy

#14 ·
I use 45 mph lockup and have tried on both tunes, original Hot and new hot Damn both seem around 15.5 to 16.5 with 3:73 and stock 20". Hot Damn may be a little better. JIM

#15 ·
If it is not recalibrated then your milage is actually better than what you think. With the bigger tires you are running, your circumference of the tire is more than that of a smaller one. So you are actually traveling further that what the computer thinks(odometer). When I was running 37.5", I was actually traveling 901' further per mile than what the computer thought(comparison to stock tires, 31's). Translates to quite a few mpg's.

#16 ·
You know....I have seriously never thought about that :doh:

That means that even I am getting better mpg than I think since my tires are 2" taller than stock tires. Definitely nothing like a 37" tire, but that is definitely something to think about. Excellent point man :nod:

#18 ·
D-Rock is correct about the tire calibration playing a big role in calculated mileage. You are about 11%-16% off on mileage, depending on what tires your truck was shipped with, and how much tread wear your tires have.

Bentley has an update coming in the next week or so to allow for tire calibration. The Mini Maxx will be shipping in the next few days as well, and the update will work on it too.

Casey

#23 ·
I just changed mine over the weekend. I have the TC now coming in at 65. When the TC came in at 55, the rpms jumped around slightly when I was running 55. Now that its at 65, it quit doing that, although the rpms are higher at 55, and the truck does not seem as fast. I am running 36 X 13.5 tires. I have never checked the mileage.

#25 ·
I have used the 45 lockup on both the Hot tune and the Hot Damn Tune and it definitely works better on the Hot Damn, it had more pulling power and doesnt tend to lug when speeeding up fron low speeds , about 45 and 50. If you step into it with Hot Damn it stays locked and just goes! With the Hot tune it surges very slightly but doesn't have the same power when you tip into it, it tends to unlock easier and down shift. I did have to drive it about 300 miles before the shifting settled in on both tunes, but the lockup is spot on with the Hot Damn. JIM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.