Adding Pyro - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding Pyro

After buying a new 6.4L truck, I want to install a pyrometer to watch my motor's health while towing. I can find little information while surfing. The 2010 F-350 isn't even listed on most parts websites yet. I don't want to do any mods that will void the warranty just yet. I just want the pyro to eyeball the performance while under load.
I would be interested in hearing what others have bought and installed for the 6.4L and how did you mount it? Where did you put the TC? Was it a difficult task to install the TC?
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 02:38 PM
Berm Buster

The truck already has every sensor you could think of. You just need a unit to plug into your port and monitor everything. Im not sure what would be the best if you dont want to tune it. Im sure some more 6.4 guys will chime in.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I think you're right. A monitor gauge might be just the thing. I talked to a guy this afternoon who works on the diesels at a Ford dealer in Utah. He said not to do ANY mods to the air intake or exhaust of this truck or my warranty will be void. He said the 6.4 is a real good motor and that it is powerful enough. He then reiterated not to do ANY mods on it to keep the warranty. The pyro is not necessary, just drive/use it. So I will.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

I use the Edge Insight, which plugs into the Ford OBD port under the dash.
I am able to moniter the EGT's from the factory sensor.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Tucker: Thanks for the lead. This is just what I was looking for except that I looked at it on their site and it seems to require an optional thermocouple probe to get EGT. The probe itself looks like it needs a new hole drilled as any pyro addon gauge would require. But your post indicates you didn't change anything, just plugged in. Can you please explain? If you truly see the EGT that the computer sees, that's good enough for me. What temps do you see for normal driving? Under Load?
The words on the site don't make sense, so I downloaded the users guide and it doesn't even mention this probe.
Insight and probe:
Edge Products: Product

Last edited by CorkyNM; 02-14-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Premium Member

Corky, here is a link
Edge Insight - Digital Gauge Display Monitor EP83400 : Trailer hitch bike rack and trailer hitches - etrailer.com
This is what I have. I dont have the thermal couple, might be for a different truck. The unit plugs into the OBD factory sensors. I bought the mount from Edge and it looks like it came from the factory. I got it for the same reason you want one. I recorded my temps empty then when I tow and moniter it when I am towing my trailer for up to 5 or 6 hrs.
Any more questions just let me know.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

OK, I'm sold. A couple of questions - Do you drive by the pyro reading, I mean when it hits a certain point, do you back off the throttle? Or do you just drive it and to heck with it?
I ask this because I have a trailer that is about #13000 and I'm skeptical that I can pull it up a hill at 70MPH with my Ford without beating the engine up. People do it because in my Dodge, I was always being passed by Fords and Chevys towing similar trailers. I was driving by the pyrometer.
I don't think I like that pod they sell, it looks like it sits on top of the dash or something. I was thinking more like velcro to an empty space on the dash. I don't want it sitting in the direct sun, it gets pretty hot in summer where I live.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:29 AM
wriott

stay below 1250* and you will be good... you can go over that temp but for only SHORT periods.... as in a couple of seconds....
Old 02-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to no-tel-in
the dashdaq is an awesome product as well
Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no Tell, are you kidding me? Only 5,961 parameters for the DashDaq?
That is very interesting indeed. I will consider it but I know I can't afford that right now. I like how it is totally configurable. Nice toy for sure. My wife said no way so far on the Insight. Wait till I show her this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.