Spartan Installation Advice - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan Installation Advice

I'm going to be installing a Spartan DPF+CAT delete next week. I was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers, advice, tricks relating to the installation. Typical stumbling blocks etc. I know the sensors breaking is a concern when coming out of the old pipe. Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I would get 1 spare sensor 8C3Z-12B591-D anyway,usually the rear is the problem. Don't heat it up, usually just makes things worse then you can't reinstall the stock parts.

Here's a quick run down:

CAT/DPF OFFROAD Pipe install: NOTE DO NOT INSTALL PIPE WITHOUT HAVING THE PROPER PROGRAMMING IN HAND FIRST, INSTALL WITHOUT PROGRAMMING WILL RESULT IN REGEN/RUNNING PROBLEMS

1. Begin with cool exhaust system, spray the 3 EGT sensor with good penetrating oil approx. 1hr+ before removal begins.
2. Remove the 3 EGT sensors using a high quality 13mm line wrench or crows foot(DON'T HEAT SENSOR, DAMAGE AND RUNNING ISSUES WITH RESULT). Sometimes shocking the wrench helps break them loose, the rear one seems to be the worst.
3. Remove the 15mm nut holding the DPF pressure sensor brkt to the CAT/DPF flange,rotate the sensor brkt away from the stud the free up the hose from the factory nipple(BE CAREFUL,SENSOR IS PLASTIC AND VERY EASY TO BREAK).
4. Remove the 13mm nuts along the outside of the frame that hold the exhaust hanger brkts to the frame(pipe will be removed with hangers,rubbers and brkts still on the pipe).
5. Using a racket strap, apply pressure rearward on the factory muffler/tailpipe assemble to remove it from the factory DPF, set exhaust out of the way to make room to remove the CAT/DPF assemble.
6. Using a 13mm flex socket and extension, remove the 13mm headed bolts that hold the factory CAT/DPF to the down pipe(you don't have to hold the nuts,they are welded to the CAT flange).
7. Using a helper, remove the CAT/DPF assemble and brkts/mounts, THIS ASSEMBLE IS VERY HEAVY AND HELP IS NEEDED TO SAFELY REMOVE IT.
8. Install new pipe with supplied hardward to the down pipe, loosely set height and rotation of pipe to clear crossmember and snug the bolts(you can use and tiedown to hold the rear section of this new pipe and set height).
9. Now install the factory or aftermarket exhaust, if you run into a tight fit you can use a racket type strap to apply pressure forward and wiggle the junction up and down while keeping pressure on the strap.
10. Make sure not to rotate the rear pipe as it may twist the CAT/DPF pipe to downpipe alignment, once all pipes are properly aligned tighten the downpipe bolts,then tighten the clamp between the end on the new pipe and rear exhaust(stock or aftermarket).
11. Install EGT probes with a little never sieze on the threads, install pressure sensor onto pipe brkt with the hardware supplied.
12. Install proper programming BEFORE running the truck! Don't even start the truck while pipe is removed or sensor are unhooked, this will cause problems with the truck running.
13. Start truck and check for leaks,correct if needed. Check of proper clearance of wires,sensor and crossmember, fix if needed.
fightinfires likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to powerstroker67 For This Useful Post:
fightinfires (09-14-2014)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

MOD's can someone maybe sticky this, I keep getting questions on it all the time. I have tried to use the search threads and found nothing on things I know it should have found results. I know it was probably me as my computer skills are limited, but I know people run into the same issue.
Thanks Sean
Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM

If I break a sensor am I totally SOL or can I still run it "gently" until I can get one bought? I can't afford to buy an extra sensor- took about everything I had just to get the system itself.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 AM

Purchase new sensors, that way you won''t have any problems reinstalling you original exhaust system for warranty work and then you don't have to worry about damaging them.... Make sure all the sensors are installed and connected, otherwise your truck will go into a no start mode. It really not a hard process at all. Just take your time and double check everything. Load a tune before you remove the exhaust system, that way you won't have to reinstall the cat/dpf if there's a problem loading a tune...
Old 02-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjl2725 View Post
If I break a sensor am I totally SOL or can I still run it "gently" until I can get one bought? I can't afford to buy an extra sensor- took about everything I had just to get the system itself.
Micks right, don't start the truck with either a bad sensor(heated up to get it out) or sensor unplugged!
I would suggest spraying and loosen the sensor BEFORE anything. If the sensor don't loosen right up then stop til you can switch the purchase of new sensor(s) as required.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are doing this by yourself use 2 ratchet straps hooked to frame to hold the stock pipe up while you remove the bolts. this thing weighs a ton. well maybe not a ton but alot.
Mike
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
bye bye 6.4L

I don't want to be a bad influence but I am more so wondering if I just got lucky, the back sensor was not coming off and I had no choice but to carefully heat up the bung a little with oxy acetylene torch then it came off easily with a vise grip. Didn't know it was a bad idea at the time. 2,000 trouble free miles so far.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

One more additional note: Directions are for our CAT/DPF pipe which includes the nipple for the exhaust pressure sensor. If your running a different brand CAT/DPF them make sure you purchse the nipple for the pressure hose(it doesn't come with most other pipes, cost is approx. $20, you can get it from the dealer, that nipple is worse than EGT probes).
Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

+1 on making this a sticky. I'll be doing the job soon and will augment the text with pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.