Used Spartan - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Used Spartan

If i were to buy a spartan tuner off of a truck that has been used but was turned back to stock will it work on my truck? What about the 275 and 310 tunes that are on it, will they work or will it have to be sent back to spartan?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2010, 05:01 PM

To my knowledge the tunner will work . just the tunes probably wont they may be vin specific . Wait for one of the pros to chime in to confirm that tho.

My sct had aftermarket tunes on it when I got it used, and they work, and I dont believe they were supposed to
Old 02-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It will not work without something from Spartan. If it's an older version(not strategy flash which means serial number 6977 and LOWER) then you will need to purchase new tunes all together. If the truck was returned to stock(license unlocked) the cost is around $325 for three new tunes. If it was left locked to the last vin a new license must be purchased for $699 and this price will only get you 3 tunes up to 250hp the 275 and 310 would cost more on top of that. If it's a new strategy flash(serial number 6978 and HIGHER) it will have to go back to Spartan period, I'm not sure the cost to get the vin number cleared but I'm sure it will make a difference if the truck was returned to stock. In most cases buying a used Spartan is kinda a gamble.

Last edited by powerstroker67; 02-11-2010 at 10:34 AM. Reason: serial number's,price correction on 3 new tunes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn130 View Post
To my knowledge the tunner will work . just the tunes probably wont they may be vin specific . Wait for one of the pros to chime in to confirm that tho.

My sct had aftermarket tunes on it when I got it used, and they work, and I dont believe they were supposed to
Eric's new tuning that is loaded directly in the Livewire will work after the first truck is returned to stock and you go to program a second truck. The older emailed tunes will only work if the stragey's were the same between the two trucks. Just remember you only get 5 "unlocks" on the SCT before it won't change vehicle to vehicle.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroker67 View Post
Eric's new tuning that is loaded directly in the Livewire will work after the first truck is returned to stock and you go to program a second truck. The older emailed tunes will only work if the stragey's were the same between the two trucks. Just remember you only get 5 "unlocks" on the SCT before it won't change vehicle to vehicle.
Ah cool. Thanks for the info by the way, a local shop had the flo pro for a great price, so I jumped on it. im very happy with it, I just have to figure out more about the tunes I have on my sct. I have 3 tunes, river city, then two named extreme race, and race 2, not sure about what they all are for , but will prob buy the new ones soon
Old 02-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmn130 View Post
Ah cool. Thanks for the info by the way, a local shop had the flo pro for a great price, so I jumped on it. im very happy with it, I just have to figure out more about the tunes I have on my sct. I have 3 tunes, river city, then two named extreme race, and race 2, not sure about what they all are for , but will prob buy the new ones soon
If you can send Eric/Innovative your Livewire, his got really great tunes with great tranny shifting now available. Just gotta send him the unit for him to load them directly into it.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroker67 View Post
If you can send Eric/Innovative your Livewire, his got really great tunes with great tranny shifting now available. Just gotta send him the unit for him to load them directly into it.
sure but then you got to pay again for them correct? are those the names of his tunes? If so and I like them I will be calling for more !
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

The extreme race sounds like one of Eric's, but if it was the older emailed versions you really be suprised by the new ones. And yes I would think Eric is going to charge you for newer version stuff, but it worth it!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM

Sean I'm dumbfused.... I have the newer dashdaq with all updates and was under the impression it was able to be used in another truck as long as I returned my truck to stock. That since we no longer have to send in our strategy codes the tuner automatically sees which one we're running and tunes accordingly. Don't get me wrong I'm not sharing my Spartan with anyone.:nope:
Old 02-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin24 View Post
Sean I'm dumbfused.... I have the newer dashdaq with all updates and was under the impression it was able to be used in another truck as long as I returned my truck to stock. That since we no longer have to send in our strategy codes the tuner automatically sees which one we're running and tunes accordingly. Don't get me wrong I'm not sharing my Spartan with anyone.:nope:
It will not work in a second truck, even if you return the first truck to stock. The vin number for the first truck stays "married" to the tuner, it has to be sent back to Spartan to be get reset/removed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.