Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Used Spartan

3K views 36 replies 12 participants last post by  FukeneH 
#1 ·
If i were to buy a spartan tuner off of a truck that has been used but was turned back to stock will it work on my truck? What about the 275 and 310 tunes that are on it, will they work or will it have to be sent back to spartan?
Thanks

#2 ·
To my knowledge the tunner will work . just the tunes probably wont they may be vin specific . Wait for one of the pros to chime in to confirm that tho.

My sct had aftermarket tunes on it when I got it used, and they work, and I dont believe they were supposed to

#4 ·
Eric's new tuning that is loaded directly in the Livewire will work after the first truck is returned to stock and you go to program a second truck. The older emailed tunes will only work if the stragey's were the same between the two trucks. Just remember you only get 5 "unlocks" on the SCT before it won't change vehicle to vehicle.

#3 · (Edited)
It will not work without something from Spartan. If it's an older version(not strategy flash which means serial number 6977 and LOWER) then you will need to purchase new tunes all together. If the truck was returned to stock(license unlocked) the cost is around $325 for three new tunes. If it was left locked to the last vin a new license must be purchased for $699 and this price will only get you 3 tunes up to 250hp the 275 and 310 would cost more on top of that. If it's a new strategy flash(serial number 6978 and HIGHER) it will have to go back to Spartan period, I'm not sure the cost to get the vin number cleared but I'm sure it will make a difference if the truck was returned to stock. In most cases buying a used Spartan is kinda a gamble.

#9 ·
Sean I'm dumbfused.... I have the newer dashdaq with all updates and was under the impression it was able to be used in another truck as long as I returned my truck to stock. That since we no longer have to send in our strategy codes the tuner automatically sees which one we're running and tunes accordingly. Don't get me wrong I'm not sharing my Spartan with anyone.:nope:

#13 ·
You need to be very careful when purchasing a used tuner. Like most of the others have said, his old tunes will not work on your truck. On the old tuners, the first truck has to be returned to stock. Then you will have to go to Tuning, I Accept and then to Status. It will display the license, and if it has a vin number beside it then it's still locked to the first truck that it tuned. That will require you to purchase another license for $699.00. If it displays available then you would just need to purchase new tunes, 3 for $325 and that does not include 275 or the 310 tune....

#16 ·
Aye, a little confused on this myself. I was under the impression that the newer style tuners where being marketed as basically a canned tune meaning they were able to be reprogrammed back to stock and then moved to another vehicle. I'm not upset, I was gonna buy the spartan before when you had to send in your strategy and wait for your specific tunes, just saying it woulda been nice for resale value. I think alot of people are believing this to be the case now with the preloaded tuners so yea people should be carefull.

#21 · (Edited)
We didn't forget about your question, I was still waiting for the answer from Matt/Spartan. It sounds like it is going to be handle much the same as the pre strategy flash tuners. If the 1st truck was returned to stock(license unlocked), you would just purchase a new set on tunes. If the truck was NOT returned to stock, you would have to purchase a new license $699 and this license allowed you to request the new tunes. How exactly the unlock/reset is going to happen on these strategy flash tuners is still undetermined. This is just a guess at this point!

#24 ·
U could prob sell it for $500 or so easily if u return to stock. That would get someone in a Spartan for under a grand after they buy tunes. Heck I would buy it depending on cost of tunes

#30 ·
Here's the official word. If you have a strategy flash tuner and you decide to sell your tuner you must first return the truck to stock. It will still be locked to your truck. You will have to send us a log file, I believe a system log file. We can open the file which will show if the truck was returned to stock or not. If it was then you purchase a reset license ($325) that will return your DashDAQ to the stock setting just like it's new allowing you to tune another truck. If it's not then there is a $699 charge for tuning another truck with the same DashDAQ.

The cost is the same if you had a non strategy flash tuner and you purchased another truck and wanted to tune it. Cost of the license is for the continuous updates that we provide and for tech support of the unit.

Hope this helps to answer your questions....

#34 ·
You can use the BlackMaxx on a 6.7 Cummins or the LMM all you have to do is download the new software from their site. Also Erics new tunes will work on another truck also. ALL FREE OF CHARGE!:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.