How much smoke? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much smoke?

Ok, I think I've finally decided on getting the Spartan tuner but I'm not crazy about looking like a coal fired steam train going down the road.
Been there and done that when I was little younger.

This is my 5th Powerstroke and I want something a little milder now, so what horsepower setting do I need to run on the Spartan to minimize the black smoke cloud?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

running the 275 if you hammer on it she will smoke out intersections but for daily driving it nice and easy on the throttle i get almost no smoke.
so it all depends on your foot
Old 02-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Like stated above, its all in how you drive. If you hammer it, it will blow a nice thick black cloud. If your easy with it taking off, and I don't mean grampa easy, but half throttle, it won't smoke at all. 3/4 throttle is even not smokey. WOT or stomping it from a dead stop will throw out a cloud. This is mainly with the 250, 275, and 310 tunes. You can get the 150 and 175 tunes to smoke some too, but the stock, 40, 75, 120, and 210 tunes will barely smoke any.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
Wont smoke unless you press the pedal. Hard not to do
Old 02-09-2010, 05:49 AM
Emergency Services

I daily drive with my 210 tow-performance tune because my transmission is on it's way out, and I want it to last a few more months. The 210 tune barely puffs anything when you stomp on it. It still gives you a nice bump in horse power and torque over stock. A lot of people drive the 275( or 310) as a daily driver (and I used to also), but I really think that with the safety built in to the 210, and the tameness of the tune, it really makes a nice daily driver tune for most people. It's really a sweet spot between stock and obnoxious power and smoke. By obnoxious, I mean it has it's place, but it makes it a little irritating to drive in the rain, tends to cause accidents behind you because people can't see, eats your tires, etc.. I like all that, but some times, you just want a relaxing drive without spinning your tires every time you drum your fingers on your leg while listening to music..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.