40 + Pegged Boost on F-450 210 Tow Performance... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2010, 02:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
40 + Pegged Boost on F-450 210 Tow Performance...

That SPARTAN 210 Tow Performance is giving me 560 Horsepower and it FEELS LIKE IT... If I don't put on the Tow/Haul mode, at 28,000 lbs all up, I run up the grades at about 1500 RPM with 40+ Boost meter PEGGED...

Now to my way of thinking, THAT is HARD on the motor???? I would be better to drop a gear, run up the hills on TOW/HAUL and click back out at the top or on the flat? WHAT SAY YEA?

To my "Old School Thinking" I am better to run a higher RPM with a lot less BOOST. That much 40+ Boost is bound to be hard on Head Gaskets for one... Somebody said with the SPARTAN 210 leave the Tow/Haul off and run on BOOST..

Or is this motor fine with that extreme boost? I still feel I should do the Tow Haul mode on the grades and run up higher RPM and lower boost...

Best Regards from Australia. A land where when they find a Leftist, Inexperienced, "never had a real job in his Life" slimy Politician: They elect him Prime Minister... Much the same it looks for you Guys in America...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Did you dyno the truck for that number? Those are 310 power levels not 210.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM

My 210 tune pegged on the spartan at 56 lbs of boost merging onto a local highway by me. My clutch was slipping the whole way but nobody could catch me.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
Did you dyno the truck for that number? Those are 310 power levels not 210.
i think hes commenting the stock 350 plus 210
Old 02-07-2010, 05:47 PM

Spartan told me it was 210 HP added... Truck started at 350... I just did the sums, not dynoed the truck, this is a Gooseneck Hauler tuned for fuel economy tuned, not a race car....

I don't really care what the rear wheel HP is. All I can say is at nearly 30k lbs, all I had to do was feather the accelerator up the hills....

Empty if I romped on it, I would be putting down double drags slick marks, but I am too old and too smart for that kind of foolishness... Besides, I like my tires even if I can afford to burn up I would feel stupid doing it... I already have Wife, and that is to impress whom again?

My question still holds, any Mechanical / Diesel Engineers out there? My thinking is still the ideal is Tow/Haul mode downshifting on the hills, not riding up on Spartans Boost of 40+.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:57 PM

I would agree with you. i would rather see you drop a gear and slow down a bit to reduce the stress.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
My bad...I was a little worried there for a sec. I'd downshift too as far as the original question goes.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM
Emergency Services

I'm not sure about the new 2010 6.4l F450's go, but my 2008 F450 is only 325HP. Same went for the F550 too. The F350 and F350 got 350 horse power. All of those numbers are at the flywheel. By the time you run that through a transmission and a driveline, you get about 275 to the wheels. Maybe about 250 for the F450 (if they still have 325 to start with).

The Spartan system running a 210 tune will give you about 480 Rear Wheel Horse Power more or less.

I know that the OP is not really interested in the horse power numbers, but I thought that I would add that just for his information.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
I'm not sure about the new 2010 6.4l F450's go, but my 2008 F450 is only 325HP. Same went for the F550 too. The F350 and F350 got 350 horse power. All of those numbers are at the flywheel. By the time you run that through a transmission and a driveline, you get about 275 to the wheels. Maybe about 250 for the F450 (if they still have 325 to start with).

The Spartan system running a 210 tune will give you about 480 Rear Wheel Horse Power more or less.

I know that the OP is not really interested in the horse power numbers, but I thought that I would add that just for his information.
Your correct on the hp of the stock truck, but once it's tuned with by Spartan it produces the same hp as the F250 and 350 trucks.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1955 View Post
Your correct on the hp of the stock truck, but once it's tuned with by Spartan it produces the same hp as the F250 and 350 trucks.

I don't know what I was thinking, of course it would produce the same amount of horse power tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.