Indications Spartan 210 Tow Would Shorten Engine Life?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Indications Spartan 210 Tow Would Shorten Engine Life??

Out Testing people say it sounds like the engine is going to jump out of the truck... Just playing a little they laid down four striped track with a 350 Dually...

Our concern is does it over max the engineering for heavy towing of 12 tons or so with the 6.4 ??? It would have to shorten engine life, on the lower end, mains, rods, piston life.. Spartan would have had to advance the timing, and waaay push the fuel. This extra 200 HP would have to affect the lower end wouldn't it?

Or is it case of who cares with the added fuel economy.. Any Engineers in the house? Is the lower end that strong, that it does not matter?

Anybody run the Spartan 210 Tow with VCM IDS hooked up to engine parameters?

Spartan and DashDaq are "in the mail"... Just wondering if the F-450 4x4 should run that high in heavy towing ?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 03:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to cj performance
Just because its adding 210 HP doesnt mean your going to be using it towing..My advice to anyone 12 tons stock tune or aftermarket to not push the motor when towing that much..Unless you leave off the line like a jackass every time the tune will only help.. The 210 i wouldnt worry about..i run the 310 constantly with 0 issues along with plenty of others. When towing your proabably only going to utelize an extra 60-80 HP when towing unless you got your foot to the floor
Old 01-26-2010, 04:08 AM

Like has been said, you're not going to be using the additional power 100% of the time. Hell, you won't be using it 50% of the time. I can't see that wear is any more just because it makes more power. The streses on the crank and rods are greater, yes, but unless they exceed the strength of the metal (they don't) they're not going to wear out.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Emergency Services

The bottom end on these engines are probably stringer than any other light diesel (Duramax, Cummins). They use a bed plate instead of bearing caps. That makes for a much stronger, stiffer block. It's like already coming with a bottom end girdle from the factory.

Off all the people that abuse these trucks for sport, there hasn't ever been any broken rods or crank bearings going out. Every once in a while, when they have too much back pressure, the drag racing guys will float a valve. But in what you and I normally do, that is virtually impossible.

I tow some heavy stuff with the 210 tunes. I don't even worry about the 210 tunes. They make really solid reliable towing tunes.

I've towed some even heavier stuff with the 275 tune. Not all the time though, and you have to use your head when you are doing it.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:38 AM

When people worry about things like this I just remember trucks like Aaron's, making 900+ RWHP on the stock motor and running 127 MPH in the 1/4 mile!...lol
Old 01-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED F250 View Post
When people worry about things like this I just remember trucks like Aaron's, making 900+ RWHP on the stock motor and running 127 MPH in the 1/4 mile!...lol
Aaron's race truck motor isn't stock....

Elite studs, valves, valve springs, and pushrods are not stock motor parts. That motor is pretty sturdy
Old 01-26-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@CDP View Post

Elite studs, valves, valve springs, and pushrods are not stock motor parts. That motor is pretty sturdy
none of that is going to save a rod
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
none of that is going to save a rod
Your right....but no one has rods available yet, and no one has found the TRUE breaking point of a stock rod....
Old 01-26-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@CDP View Post

The OP referred to things like "lower end, mains, rods, piston life.." When he was asking about engine life. This is what I was saying is still stock on Aaron's truck.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED F250 View Post
The OP referred to things like "lower end, mains, rods, piston life.." When he was asking about engine life. This is what I was saying is still stock on Aaron's truck.
Got ya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.