So who is running a Sun Coast setup in there DD?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
So who is running a Sun Coast setup in there DD??

I'm about ready to bite the bullet and purchase all the Sun Coast upgrades for my transmission as well as one of there torque converters. I just wanted to hear from some of the people who are already running there products. Ideally I'd like to hear from people who are running a full Sun Coast setup with Spartan tuning, because that is what I'll be doing.

Basically, I want to know how the truck drives with the upgraded transmission, and not just at WOT, but cruising and slow exceleration also.

Thanks for any input!

Drew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Setup has been flawless in my F450 (Job 1 truck), Suncoast/Ron and worked together to develope the converter for these trucks. I'm running the Suncoast parts in my transmission(not a fully assembled Suncoast tranny/my tranny is built with Suncoast's "superduty kit" included the direct solenoid. I run this setup with the Spartan TCM and 310 tune, shifts are firm but not to violent. Very quick firm fast shifts at wide open throttle, nice firm shifts at light throttle(you know it shifted but can still drive a coffee and drive it). After I tow a trailer a good distance, unload the trailer,and drive the truck empty, the shift is violent until it relearns. I have to expect this towing with a race tune. It is suggested to not run the Suncoast solenoid with the Spartan TCM and tuning, but it works great in my truck.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstroker67 View Post
Setup has been flawless in my F450 (Job 1 truck), Suncoast/Ron and worked together to develope the converter for these trucks. I'm running the Suncoast parts in my transmission(not a fully assembled Suncoast tranny/my tranny is built with Suncoast's "superduty kit" included the direct solenoid. I run this setup with the Spartan TCM and 310 tune, shifts are firm but not to violent. Very quick firm fast shifts at wide open throttle, nice firm shifts at light throttle(you know it shifted but can still drive a coffee and drive it). After I tow a trailer a good distance, unload the trailer,and drive the truck empty, the shift is violent until it relearns. I have to expect this towing with a race tune. It is suggested to not run the Suncoast solenoid with the Spartan TCM and tuning, but it works great in my truck.
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to get new tunes from Spartan to run the Sun Coast trans/converter? Also, have you ever monitored TQ slip with the new converter? I'm wondering how it compares to the stock unit.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AED F250 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Did you have to get new tunes from Spartan to run the Sun Coast trans/converter? Also, have you ever monitored TQ slip with the new converter? I'm wondering how it compares to the stock unit.
I had the Suncoast stuff before the Spartan tunes were out so I don't know what the difference would have been, but most of my tunes are standard Spartan tunes everyone else has. I don't moniter t/c slip because after you drive a truck with a Suncoast t/c you will feel the difference and it ain't slipping.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:09 PM

I am having a horrible time with mine... My tranny, TCM and tunes did not mix at all. I am now 250 tuned on stock TCM and It's getting worked out now some, but still has one shift that is pretty bad. I would suggest getting your tranny straight from suncoast unless you have a tranny builder that you truly truly trust. Me not going this route has caused me quite an amount of down time and money.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinPSDs View Post
I am having a horrible time with mine... My tranny, TCM and tunes did not mix at all. I am now 250 tuned on stock TCM and It's getting worked out now some, but still has one shift that is pretty bad. I would suggest getting your tranny straight from suncoast unless you have a tranny builder that you truly truly trust. Me not going this route has caused me quite an amount of down time and money.
Thanks for the input. Hopefully I don't have that kind of problem. The trans tech at my local Ford dealer will be installing everything for me, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. Especially since everything is already in the mail!

If you don't mind me asking, who assembled your trans? Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 PM

TCM

I just purchased the spartan 310 dash daq for my 6.4 And I am debating whether or not to get the tcm from spartan. I dont want to get it if it is going to make my transmission shift HARD? What do you guys suggest I do?
Old 01-25-2010, 06:37 PM

The TCM will not make your trans shift hard. The 275 and 310 tune make it shift hard, but they are racing tunes, so that is what you get. The TCM makes it shift faster. Basically, the shift is snappier and not as jolting. Which is better on the trans.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:43 PM

TCM

Ok thanks alot. I do have one other question for you. When you are switching tunes like 275 to 175 do you have to go through a process to relearn the transmission or is it once you load the tunes in the truck the transmission will relearn itself?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:00 PM

I only did the TCM relearn process one time when I loaded the 310. After doing that I just felt like abused the hell out of the truck and have not done it since after loading tunes.

Spartan suggest doing it after every time you load a tune as far as I know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.