Spartan and AFE 4" Install by Newbie - Complete - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan and AFE 4" Install by Newbie - Complete

My oh my...total transformation of my truck. A big thanks to Aaron at Rudys' for the answers I needed and nothing has ever arrived so quickly after ordering!

The install was a simple affair, and I did the whole job myself, with an ATV jack and air ratchet. It took all day, but I went slow and methodically. I sprayed a little penetrating oil on my sensors, then went through setup on the Spartan. While it was saving stock and loading new, I went after the rear section of the exhaust. It takes some wiggling and finesse and WD40 on the rubber hangers. I also lowered the spare to the ground and she came right out. I have the factory running boards and removed the right side so I could access easier. I also have a skid plate under the tansfer case, which I dropped out also.

My stock save and upload took almost an hour to complete. Book said 32 minutes but mine just took longer I guess. Once complete, the screen said turn off key, wait ten seconds and start engine. That did not fit with the directions I had from Aaron, so I shut her all down and went after the front section of the exhaust. I removed all the EGT sensors with a 1/2" tubing wrench. Honestly, they took no effort and turned right out. I took care and placed them out of harms way on the frame rails. The front section is a long piece but a little finagaling and it came out easy. It was not as heavy as I thought it would be.

I cannot say enough about the AFE exhaust. I purchased the SS w/muffler. One cut to make it fit the shortbed is it (-16"). All the hangers and sensor ports are in exactly the right spot, and the materials are Grade A. System went on very easily. The only issue was the bolts for the downpipe flange are a bit too long, so a washer and lock washer solved that.

After getting it back together, I just could not wait to drive her.

Started right up, quiet as can be in cab, has a nice deep note at idle, with a nice unobnoxious sound all around.

The power is unreal. It completely changed the truck.

If your debating on these upgrades, as I was, contact Aaron at Rudy's. He is knowledgeable, courteous, and replied quickly to emails and always answered the phone.

I am looking forward to getting some mileage reports and will share them when I get them together.

Me very happy!

~gpz900r~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2010, 02:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the club Aaron is a great guy to deal with and you're right, you couldn't find quicker shipping anywhere.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:51 AM

welcome and i second everything said above, i have the the same set up and WOW! Aaron was awsome and had my tunner and delete in 2 days!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 06:59 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
was just reading this post and figured i had to chime in, Aaron is who i dealt with too,and i can honestly say he is the best,answered all my questions as well and always called back,good luck with your mods,you'll love it!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.