I WANT A TUNER. WHICH ONE? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I WANT A TUNER. WHICH ONE?

Hello,
I've been away from these forums for quite some time so I'm not up to date on the new stuff and I just bought a nice 09 F350 a few days ago and I want to mod it a little like I did with my older powerstrokes.

From a little bit of reading it looks like the SCT Extreme Livewire and the Spartan Diesel Phalanx come highly recommended. Is one really any better than the other? I'm leaning toward the SCT because it's almost half the price and I don't want something really crazy. Does the SCT have good programming for the engine and trans?
How do these new tuners work? Do you just leave them plugged in to the dianogistics port or do they hook up a different way?

Sorry for what is probably stupid questions, but like I said I haven't been here for some time, so thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM
wriott

the download into the computer and then its done... once downloaded you unplug it and drive away...
Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
the sct is cheaper..but the only thing i dont like about the sct is how big it is and you have to use the livewire for it. The tuning between the 2 is basically the same with some little tweaks between each tuner that tunes sct(River City, Eric@Innovative and nutty's spartan tuning. They both have good tuning...i dont know about the regular SCT extreme tunes?...i know with a 6.0 custom tuning is the only way to go

they stay plugged into the OBDII port if you want them to, they dont have to stay plugged in for the tuning, the only reason to leave them plugged in is they will both function as your guages if you leave them pluged in,

as for which one i would go with...Spartan...only because the Dashdaq is smaller then the Livewire and it seems like its a better monitor. If it were just on the tuning it would be a complete flip up between the 2
Old 01-24-2010, 05:07 PM
Emergency Services

SCT's generic canned tunes will do the job, but its kind of like using an all-in-one shampoo and conditioner. Yes, it is both a shampoo and conditioner, but it doesn't really do either very well.

If you buy a SCT livewire, make sure that you go and buy you some custom tunes for it. Your transmission will thank you for it. Innovative Diesel and River City Diesel make some good stuff for the livewire.

With tuning, you get what you pay for. Once you factor in the cost of good tuning for an SCT, it increases the cost a bit. Probably still not as much as a Spartan system, but more than you spent on the generic SCT, for sure.

In the end, you can spend all the money you want, but you can't buy better tuning than Spartan's.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
I've got both but the Spartan with TCM is what is staying in my truck
Old 01-24-2010, 05:42 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
I've got both but the Spartan with TCM is what is staying in my truck
That's a pretty good endorsement from a guy that isn't trying to sell you a tuner. I agree. Although I don't have an SCT to compare my Spartan system to, I can tell there is a major difference between the non-TCM Spartan tunes and the TCM-enabled Spartan tunes.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Warheads on Foreheads

also look at the Black Maxx from H&S, lots of good feedback on these tuners as well.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I recommend either the H&S Black Maxx or Spartan Phalanx if your willing to spend the money. If not, then the SCT with Eric @ Innovative's custom tuning package would be another route to go that is cheaper.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:56 PM

Spartan, my truck loves it and I love my truck.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 AM

SPARTAN.... Its so easy and the power and mpg gain are amazing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.