Started my upgrades... wow! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started my upgrades... wow!

So I ordered the Spartan and it's coming with the 275 and 310 tunes, and the S&B intake kit too. Because of drop shipping, the air intake came Tuesday and I should be getting the tuner and pipe today. Anyway, I installed the intake last night.
Now, I usually drive anywhere between 60-70MPH into work on the freeway for about 20miles and I have about 7miles of surface streets between home and work.
If I really babied it and took off from stops really slowly and really took it easy I might be able to reach about 18.5 on the lie-o-meter which hand calculated is actually about 13MPG in my truck.

Just the intake kit installed I got up to 22.3 and by time I hit the surface streets and parked my truck at work this morning it was reading 21.6. That's incredible from just the intake kit alone. I'd be interested in seeing what that calc's out to by hand...

Anyone know how that meter calculates fuel mileage? I can't imagine it's complicated and actually measures fuel consumption, does it??? Probably just a simple algorithm? I have no clue anyone have any input on this?

Can hardlyl wait to see what that meter says after the Spartan is installed tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 07:52 AM

I wish you would have done this little experiment the other way. i have the Spartan with 250 but have not done the intake yet. Mileage really is not any different than when the truck was stock.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to jhaddox
not trying to burst your bubble...but with just an intake you arent going to see that high of an increase...hand calculate it...fill your tank up, record how many miles you go, refill the tank to where it clicks back off record how many galons you just pumped in...

take miles/gallons and you will get your real MPG...you might see the 20's with the tuning and intake.

try that and report back with it and see what you can get
Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 AM

AFE stage II, got me 1mpg better than stock when I ran it by itself. I took it off for a while while I waited on my spartan (got tired of it throwing codes) and noticed that I did lose the 1mpg. Hand calculated, didn't really see any big difference on the lie o meter though.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:22 AM

you can't go by the liometer, especially after you tune it.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaddox View Post
not trying to burst your bubble...
Not bursting any bubbles... as I said - hand calc'd 18.5 on the lie-o-meter is around 13MPG. I doubt it's linear, but if it were that would mean I'm actually getting around 15 or 16 MPG. Possible? maybe, but very doubtful. I won't have time to do a real check with a full tank, as I'll be installing the Spartan tonight.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2ShootTheJ View Post
you can't go by the liometer, especially after you tune it.
You guys... I'm not going by the lie-o-meter. I was just pointing out the difference the intake made to it and I'm mostly curious about how it calc's the fuel mileage.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin24 View Post
AFE stage II, got me 1mpg better than stock when I ran it by itself. I took it off for a while while I waited on my spartan (got tired of it throwing codes) and noticed that I did lose the 1mpg. Hand calculated, didn't really see any big difference on the lie o meter though.
That's more what I'm expecting I'll gain. It's odd that the meter got thrown off like it did though
Old 01-22-2010, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Found this link - Not real informative, but you'll probably get the idea....

WikiAnswers - How do trip computers calculate fuel used against mileage covered

Looks like it shows 'averages' on the lie-o-meter!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Oh you are going to love the Spartan, it will be like driving a whole new truck.

I hand calculated mine back when it was bone stock and it did 13ish + or - depending on the foot. The AFE helped, but not a lot on paper. But the DPF delete, gains 4mpg.

If you drive slow like you say you do, and it is mainly highway. I bet you see 18 pretty easy. If you can keep your foot out of it. IF.....you can resist......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.