Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Spartan tuner / TCM install

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  08twinturbo 
#1 ·
I am sure this question has been asked before....
I am looking at the Spartan tuner and from reading other posts running the 250 tune. The only towing I do on a semi-regular basis is a 3000 lb boat.
Do I need to get the TCM tuner as well? What improvement does offer or is simply a matter of safety? Is it possible to install the Phalax, DPF delete and CAI in the same day (with only hand tools in the driveway)?
If I left anything else out, please don't hesitate to offer your opinion.

My days of one regen a tank are close to being over :woot:
Thanks for the help...

#2 · (Edited)
If it's an early 2008, Job 1 truck, then I'd do a TCM with the Spartan. If Job 2 or later and your going to run 250 and DOWN tunes, I'd pass on the TCM for now. Install should be no problem in your driveway same day, most difficult thing is getting the ETG probes out of the stock exhaust. You can try removing them BEFORE you start and see if they loosen up. Usually the rear is the most trouble, I'd suggest getting one spare anyway. If you need help or want to place an order give us a call. We can send you spare EGT probes with your order, we stock them in good quantity.

#3 ·
^^^^Good people to deal with. I did the whole dp back exhaust with mine and it was really easy. I'd at least go with the dpf/doc delete pipe if you're gonna keep the stock tail pipe. 2 bolts compared to 8 and you eliminate ruining the gasket between the dpf and doc. Took me a couple of hours to do the delete and reinstall my afe intake. BUT, I was drinking.... :woohoo:

#4 ·
I personally don't think that if he is running the 250 tune he will need the Spartan TCM, even if the truck is Job 1. If a 3,000 lb boat is the heaviest thing he will be towing and the 250 tune is the highest tune he will use, no need to spend $700 for the TCM in my opinion.

#5 ·
Don't know if i have a job 1 or whatever, but

I pull 13,000lbs of boat with mine, no problem...

I just program back to stock tuning w/ dpf delete, on long hauls, just watch your EGT's...

#6 ·
I have the job 1 and have been lurking reading posts about the job 1 tranny and tuners. I tow about 8k about a dozen times a year and now am wondering if i should wait for the 210 tow tune for the job 1 to come out. Is the job 1 tranny just weaker then the later trans or is it just an electronic thing that has to be figured out?

#7 ·
tucker - Its just an electronic thing. I would love to sell you a tcm, but if your not running a big tune on your job 1 truck then you should be fine. We will get the 210 tow tune fixed up for the job 1 trucks. Hopefully soon!!!!!

G-NOTE - Towing 13,000 is no big deal. I would use the 210 tune, monitor your egt's and press on.......

#12 ·
job1

i have a job1,2,and 3 f-250 in the family and they all shift great with spartan tuning on all with a stock tcm. i have all the tunes up to a 310 and they run great. as long as you dont race an a daily basis you will be fine. i tow 3000- 4000 frequently during the summer with the 275 tune and have never had any isuues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.