What tools are required for the removal of Exhaust Sensor? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 09:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What tools are required for the removal of Exhaust Sensor?

I just got my Spartan Tuner and AFE Exhaust in the mail. What tools are required to remove the sensors from the stock exhaust? I want to have every thing ready when I do this. Also anybody have any tips to make this easier?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2010, 09:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Subscrided...
Old 01-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

a adjustable wrench
Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 AM

Do a search, there's many threads on the removal. Suerto's thread comes to mind, and elibenson has good information as well.

Just remember to soak the sensors overnight with penetrating oil. You're gonna love it...
Old 01-17-2010, 11:58 AM

Definitly soak all the sensors the night before with PB Blaster. I used a line wrench and the vise grips on the open end of the wrench as advised by guys on here. Without the vise grips, the line wrench was actually opening up because the sensor was so tight in the bung. They were the hardest part, the rest is just nuts and bolts and hangers. I used anti sieze on them in case I have to go back to stock in the future. Also, I spent much wasted time trying to use a pry bar and flat head screw driver to seperate burnt together sections of the exhaust, forget that! Grab ahold of a crossmember and give the muffler a good swift work boot stomp, they pop right apart... Save the delicate touch for the sensors. Good luck...
Old 01-17-2010, 12:25 PM

I removed the spare tire and heat shield and jacked up the rear of the truck to remove the stock muffler. Others say they undid the right rear shock mount. I used an air ratchet to remove bolts on hangers and left them connected to exhaust till I got it off the truck. I used a 1/2" open end wrench with vice grips over the open end to keep them from expanding and a cheater pipe to loosen the sensors. Reinstalled sensors and hangers on new exhaust and reinstalled. If you have a short bed, get a saw saw to cut the AFE to fit (don't cut wrong section) , and go get some washers to fit the new dp bolts because the AFE ones are too long.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will the DPF pressure sensor fitting that Cobbs Diesel Performance sells work in the AFE exhaust. As for the 3 other sensors, I'm probably just going to buy new ones so I can easily put the truck back to stock if necessary.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkhauler View Post
Will the DPF pressure sensor fitting that Cobbs Diesel Performance sells work in the AFE exhaust. As for the 3 other sensors, I'm probably just going to buy new ones so I can easily put the truck back to stock if necessary.
Yes sir!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Hypothetically speaking.... if a friend of mine were to do the DPF/DOC delete install... and they cant get the rear sensor out... can they still run the truck till they get a new one to put in the pipe?? will it throw a code or do any kind of damage?

Figured i would post on this thread as well... mods can delete or modify as necessary...
Old 01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What Benjamin24 said get some washers for the dp afe's are to long,but i didn't have to remove the heat shield or the shock i just jacked the back of the truck up and wiggled it out.One other thing that helped me is oil the hangers too makes it a lot easier to get them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.