Spartan or H&S Black Maxx? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan or H&S Black Maxx?

Hey guys I am going to buy a tuner for my 08 F250. I just can't decide between the Spartan or the black maxx. I am going to do the DPF delete, I am seeing that the spartans on the higher HP tunes are begining to show signs of puking. Is the Black Maxx having these issues? Or is the Spartans issues from guys really pushing the engines hard? Just curious guys let me know your preferences. Thanks alot your help is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet825 View Post
Hey guys I am going to buy a tuner for my 08 F250. I just can't decide between the Spartan or the black maxx. I am going to do the DPF delete, I am seeing that the spartans on the higher HP tunes are begining to show signs of puking. Is the Black Maxx having these issues? Or is the Spartans issues from guys really pushing the engines hard? Just curious guys let me know your preferences. Thanks alot your help is greatly appreciated.
I do not think enough people have been runing the blackmaxx at the 275 tune for long enough. My guess would be yes, stock headbolts can only take so much and 250 seems to be the absolute safest on stock headbolts. Usually if you are running those high HP tunes, you cannot help but get into it once and a while, I don't care how much self control you have.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM
bye bye 6.4L

i love the spartan 250 tune. i don't drive my truck but once every couple months or so but when I do I drive it hard... no problems yet.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hey thanks guys, the 250 tune would probably be the highest I would go, with the factory head bolts. I just really want to get rid of the EGR, and regen, I really beleive these functions hurt the longevity of this engine and any other diesel engine for that matter. Oh yeah one more thing which air filter system has the best filtration and flow? I do drive in dusty conditions and in the snow.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I to think that the puking has to do with the cold weather. It has been really cold for us here in Texas (15-25 Degrees) and I have been running the dog $hit out of my truck with the Black Maxx on HOT and I have'nt had any problems. It might just be a matter of time though.With that said I think both are great tuners it's just a matter of wanting shift-on-the-fly vs a tuner with a few more bells and whistles. IMO H&S has the best customer service in the business and any new tunes from them you get for free. Another thing about the H&S is if you ever get another make of vehicle or want to sell tha Black Maxx it will work on the 6.7 Cummins and the LMM Duramax, but who wants one of those trucks.I you decide you want a H&S James at Rollin' Smoke Diesel has a excellent relationship with H&S and will take care of you and I can promise you'll get your stuff in 3-4 days and not 4-6 weeks.Later.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:09 AM
bye bye 6.4L

i picked up the AFE Stage II with PG-7 with the outerwears on it. didn't have any air filter faults driving in a couple blizzards so it keeps the snow out. as far as dust filtration goes im not sure how well it does. Aftermarket CAI's always make me wonder how good of a job they actually do at that.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've been very pleased with my Black Maxx. I don't have any experience with the Spartan stuff though. But I don't have any reason to change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.