whats the best bang for the buck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
whats the best bang for the buck?

ok i gotta buddy with a 6.4 and a 50' trailer he hauls race quads in, hes getin about 7 towing, and 10 around town, hes in some really hilly land, he doesnt want to void the factory Bumper to bumper 100K warantee...

what can he all do with out voiding that? he would tune it but he has dodge before this and he always broke the flex plate on it, it was told be me 13K lbs, but its 22,000... the dealer he got the trailer from gave him the correct hitch for it, but he would like to see a little better MPG... heres his stort on his rig...

"
Before this truck I owned a 2500 dodge diesel put a Bully Dog in it, when I hooked up the rig electrical it would shut the truck down intermittantly on the highway, then when I returned it to stock it scramble my VIN# in the ECU leaving the check engine light on the dealer charged $110 to rest. I havenít had great experiences with them.

Get this they ol 06 dodge megacab pulled this rig for a year, guy that sold me this rig said it weighed about 13,000, dodge is rated at little less than that. So a flex plate broke once heading to a regional race, thought ok isolated but getting someone to toe this rig in the middle of nowhere in OK a NIGHTMARE!! And costly! So last year we take off to LL out of KS make all the way, head home out of Hurricane Mills get 30 miles down the road to nowheres land TN and the flex plate breaks again. Flex plates make a horrific noise sounds like your whole engine is grinding away. So BIG 18 wheeler hauler comes out toes the whole rig by the front of the truck to his shop where we stay the night in the rig then get the truck to the dealer next day 50 miles away for ANOTHER flex plate. At this point I and the truckers are thinking this is NOT enough truck to haul this rig it weighs more than 13, 000 lbs. Well we put it on the truck scales and it weighs 22, 000 w/one quad, cart, tools, etc....Truck can toe 12, 500. Take it back to the guy that sold it to me whoís been in the business 30 years he goes to the COOP and it 22, 000 lbs. Me Iím learneing never toed something this big, now I know. That trip we blew two tires, sucked! Also blew a head gasket on the quad. That was my LL vacation lol.

So I searched the dodge and chevy line all the way to the commercial trucks and this FORD 450 pulls 24, 000 giving me a little pad, 2,000. I now belive in the toe ratings violated them is hard on the truck. With only a 10% margin toe to rating I am skeptic to put a chip on it. I know everyone wants power and milage but whats the price in maintenance in the end why I'm waranted b-to-b 100,000. If this breaks down on the highway it will cost me $300 just to get a BIG hauler out the toe bill will more than likely be in the 1,000s all said and done checked AAA the 450 truck is too big. I guess I could get a chip, push the truck at this heavy payload and run the risk but is it worth it to not only break down but have spent more money in gas, loss wages, miss the race/points/contingency money, hotels, if it does happen.

Even without the chip the ol 2500 dodge held up pretty good pulling way behond itís rating. This dodge has a rotating 5th wheel hitch assy on back in a 6 foot bed that shifts back to get turning radius...well theres a ball bearing all the load of the rig sits on and the same guy that sold me the rig that thought it weighed 13,000 sold me the hitch that was rated at 19, 000 my rig again 22, 000, so I broke that bearing way out in the middle of nowhere Missorri trailer dropped straight down on the bed rails slide back tore out the gate of the dodge. Nice feeling have 22,000 lbs drop and slide back....lol! Now we have the FORD dually w/ 8 ft bed much better, ball hitch, didn't even need air shocks toes like a dream except I did end up in limp going up TN mountains doing 55 with truckers.

Learning how to drive a rig of this size, hit trees, a building, you can get in some tight spots if you donít know what your getting into. When I first got it the very back bottom out same idiot that sold me it did not put steel plain bearing rollers back there, Iím stuck in a residental area blocking rush hour traffic!

Now my boy and I after attending the school of hard rigging got it down to a science. I got a 10 ton framing jack in back and tons of tools......We keep blowing tires but now going to firestones are holding up we think and last week we went in limp mode somehow which kicks in at 85 dealer said and had to reset, we never hit 85 this F-450 truck has lots of low little top end torque and nice engine breaks. . "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pretty much any performance mods are going to potentially cause the trucks warranty to be voided. This includes tuners, exhaust mods, intake, etc.

The best thing to do is to make sure you keep all of your stock stuff, delete the DPF/DOC, add a tuner and intake, and if the truck ever needs to go in to the dealership put the stock stuff back on the truck.

As for the tuner situation, there are a lot of great options out there. Spartan, H&S, and SCT are going to be the 3 best options out there. The 5R110w tranny is also very very stout and has proven to handle high horsepower tunes.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
shaking things up

what he said tune it and get rid of the dpf/doc and get an intake but keep all the stock dpf/doc parts in the race trailer so you can change on the fly if needed but doubt it will be once it is tuned and opened up some doing this will make your truck much more reliable imo
Old 01-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Emergency Services

Towing 22,000 tuned is no problem at all. I used to tow 43K combined weight all the time with my 2003 6.0l dually. That is so far over the tow rating, it's not even funny. You *will not* break the flex-plate no matter how hard you are on it. I guarantee that.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:22 PM

i sent him this link with your replies and he had this to say to me...

"Ok thanks man, one guy said delete the DPF/DOC does he mean take it out or does the chip control the dump, keep the stock DPF/DOC stock parts in the trailer what? I can see me broke down have to put this stuff back on quick is it hard? Time consuming, I'm thinking in cold weather altho we do carry a large blow work heated in the back to the AX's?

Also he said Spartan, H&S, or SCT....wheres a good place to buy them and do they just plug into the diagnostic port and I got to drill a EGT in the my exhaust? Do I need a deisel shop to tune it for me? Will the reset my VIN # to the correct one?

Ya know think I just had a service recall on that DPF last month 20K oil change.

Thanks again for the post I was looking at that site last night like you all said but did not know where to look."
Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornin-it-up View Post
i sent him this link with your replies and he had this to say to me...

"Ok thanks man, one guy said delete the DPF/DOC does he mean take it out or does the chip control the dump, keep the stock DPF/DOC stock parts in the trailer what? I can see me broke down have to put this stuff back on quick is it hard? Time consuming, I'm thinking in cold weather altho we do carry a large blow work heated in the back to the AX's?

Also he said Spartan, H&S, or SCT....wheres a good place to buy them and do they just plug into the diagnostic port and I got to drill a EGT in the my exhaust? Do I need a deisel shop to tune it for me? Will the reset my VIN # to the correct one?

Ya know think I just had a service recall on that DPF last month 20K oil change.

Thanks again for the post I was looking at that site last night like you all said but did not know where to look."
If you delete the DPF/DOC, you are physically removing it from the truck and putting a straight pipe in place of it. We carry Spartan, SCT, and H&S. Check out our website DPF Delete Kits for Ford Powerstroke 6.4 & GM Duramax LMM. Spartan and SCT simply plug into the OBD II port, the H&S requires a little more wiring. You do not have to drill for EGT's in the 6.4L, it reads EGT off of the factory probes from the OBD II port. You do not have to have a diesel shop tune it, anyone can use the tuner. Not sure what you mean about the VIN, but all tuners will pull your stock info and you can return it to stock at any time. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:47 PM

hes tryin to join the site but hes havn a hard time so...

"my Bullydog on my dodge diesel would scramble my vin # and not reset it back to the right # which through a ECU fault code the dealer could see that cause an engine light and I'd have to pay $100 to reset and would void my warantee, will the piggy backs units they are recommending do that? Thanks! Straight pipe so I am I going to be super loud? I'm almost 50 old like quite when I'm traveling. How much they think I will gain in tow mileage by all this?"
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mornin-it-up View Post
hes tryin to join the site but hes havn a hard time so...

"my Bullydog on my dodge diesel would scramble my vin # and not reset it back to the right # which through a ECU fault code the dealer could see that cause an engine light and I'd have to pay $100 to reset and would void my warantee, will the piggy backs units they are recommending do that? Thanks! Straight pipe so I am I going to be super loud? I'm almost 50 old like quite when I'm traveling. How much they think I will gain in tow mileage by all this?"
None of the programmers would do that, another reason not to use bully dog. Not it will not be super loud, not much louder than stock. You will just be able to hear the exhaust more. It will not change in-cab noise. 3-5 more MPG while towing typically using the right tune.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:01 PM

Keep the tires at max pressure. and drive it using Ecomoder's methods, works for me.
A tuner will increase the milage, but will plug the DPF
The 6.4 is a great engine I think you will not get in trouble like the Dodge.
Banks and Hypertec can possibly program the truck with the DPF still there.
They are 48 states legal. Hypertec is anyway.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 PM

hey rudy, my buddy is sopose to be callin you some time tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.