No Banks haters please... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No Banks haters please...

I live in Norcal and I am trying to find as much feedback as I can on Banks 6 gun IQ as well as other non smokey MPG and power mods that will allow my truck to remain legal. I have done alot of research on this on other forums and honestly can say no one displays such disdain for banks as this forum. It just seems to me that they have the only serious effort out there for keeping your emission stuff in place. If you know of other emission friendly perf. products, I'd love to hear. I'm considering a water/meth injection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2010, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
banks has always made good safe products, but are expensive for what they are. There are a few other companies out there that I think you would be happier with over the banks products. Both spartan and h&S have dpf on tunes that will keep your truck legal and will net you a little better mpg, and not to much smoke (depending on the tune). But as im sure you have read already you will get the best outcome by deleting you DPF. To stay legal though as you have requested, I would say go with a spartan DPF on tunes and you will be happy.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

We don't HATE Banks but just have way better stuff than Banks. If you're looking for as little smoke as possible, contact a custom tuner and tell them exactly what you're looking for. They can tune for that. Banks can't. Not individually.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:04 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Guys theres a reason he's going with Banks. He's in Cali. With their emissions testing thats starting this year banks is the only tuner he can have and not worry about failing. Banks is CARB approved.

$ per HP is really the only reason I hate Banks.

After BSing with Gale in person he's actually a pretty decent and knowledgable guy
Old 01-06-2010, 06:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Have you looked into Spartan's DPF on tunes? The DashDAQ that Spartan offers is just as nice and capable (if not more) than the Banks iQ.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:11 PM

I have not checked into spartan dpf tunes. What keeps me leaning towards banks is the "clean tune". I know people are rolling their eyes right now, but I've seen guys mention their regens cut in half with the banks canned tune.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
banks has always made good safe products, but are expensive for what they are. There are a few other companies out there that I think you would be happier with over the banks products. Both spartan and h&S have dpf on tunes that will keep your truck legal and will net you a little better mpg, and not to much smoke (depending on the tune). But as im sure you have read already you will get the best outcome by deleting you DPF. To stay legal though as you have requested, I would say go with a spartan DPF on tunes and you will be happy.
I'm assuming you have spartan dpf tunes. Are you happy with them? How many miles have you put on? Is your dpf surviving?
Old 01-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Emergency Services

I don't think that Banks is a bad company, just an over-hyped, self-important company. They make good (albeit overpriced) hard parts like exhausts, intakes, turbo kits, etc. Their electronics and tuning is not the best, although according to Banks, it's the only way to stay legal.

If you want to be technical about it, even their products are not legal. Anything that modifies the factory parameters is technically illegal in California.

I can tell you for sure that Spartan's DPF-on tunes work pretty good. It won't net you any more fuel mileage (maybe 1 mpg), but Banks' products won't either. It's just not possible to do that with the DPF in place, no matter how many dollars Banks puts into advertising. The only real benefit that you get out of a tuned DPF-on truck is more driveability. Realistically, by tuning, and using more fuel, it will clog your DPF faster, and will cause more regens, more fuel in the oil, and lower fuel mileage, period. If you are exceedingly careful with your right foot, you may get 1 mpg more.

Basically, if you want to be legal, leave it stock. You will never ever pay for a tuner of any kind in fuel mileage improvement if you don't delete the DPF..
Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Guys theres a reason he's going with Banks. He's in Cali. With their emissions testing thats starting this year banks is the only tuner he can have and not worry about failing. Banks is CARB approved.
OOps.. Didn't realize they were CARB approved. I guess they would be legal then..
Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
I don't think that Banks is a bad company, just an over-hyped, self-important company. They make good (albeit overpriced) hard parts like exhausts, intakes, turbo kits, etc. Their electronics and tuning is not the best, although according to Banks, it's the only way to stay legal.

If you want to be technical about it, even their products are not legal. Anything that modifies the factory parameters is technically illegal in California.

I can tell you for sure that Spartan's DPF-on tunes work pretty good. It won't net you any more fuel mileage (maybe 1 mpg), but Banks' products won't either. It's just not possible to do that with the DPF in place, no matter how many dollars Banks puts into advertising. The only real benefit that you get out of a tuned DPF-on truck is more driveability. Realistically, by tuning, and using more fuel, it will clog your DPF faster, and will cause more regens, more fuel in the oil, and lower fuel mileage, period. If you are exceedingly careful with your right foot, you may get 1 mpg more.

Basically, if you want to be legal, leave it stock. You will never ever pay for a tuner of any kind in fuel mileage improvement if you don't delete the DPF..
You brought up a good point: drivability. I've read enough threads to know you can't expect significant gains in MPG from a tune, if you keep the dpf. But to have the extra power when you want it whithout clogging the dpf would be cool. As I stated earlier, most of what I've been able to find is that guys are having less regens with Banks. In about 2 months I want to try adding a Snow MPGMAX to whatever dpf tune I get to see what that does for mpg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.