Spartan it is! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2010, 05:15 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Spartan it is!

I decided i was going to buy the tuner but in a month or two but i was wondering do i have to install an intake? I will probably run the 210 or 250 tune most of the time, and i doubt i will drive it like i stole it. If i do drive it insane without the intake can i mess up my truck? Also, is a full dpf/doc delete with a new exhaust recomended? I am just looking at what will give me the best mpg's. thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
For the 210 tune you can get away with just a normal drop in filter, but for the 250 I would get a full intake, my intake on my 250 tune sucks the filter minder down pretty hard. If your going to tune the truck, I would at least get the DPF delete. The DOC/DPF delete is easier to install because the whole exhaust comes out in once section almost. As for a full 4" turbo back exhaust it isnt necessary, but It never hurts. I just run a dpf delete and adding a 5" dpf back exhaust to that, but I have my oown reasons as to why I dont do the full exhaust. But either way my truck runs just fine!
Old 01-05-2010, 05:42 PM

I know some of the guys are saying that you should get a new intake for running the 250 or higher tunes and that the stock intake is good for 210 and lower. As for the delete, get atleast the dpf/doc delete setup. Much easier to install than the dpf only delete. It'll be the easiest to return to stock. But if you want, go with a full system. Most of the dealers on here offer a pretty good price. I'm sure they'll be signing in shortly to give some good advice. You're going to love it. My MPG went up about 30%.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM

AH HA. Beat me to the punch. Same time though.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:46 PM

You must have a dpf/doc to run the 210 or 250 tunes or any of the dpf delete tunes for that matter. Most say you can run the 210 without a CAI but will recommend it for the 250 but should at least run a drop in filter for the 210. I would go ahead and get the CAI because you're gonna run the 250 eventually. Plus the ablity to clean it as opposed to throwing away the expensive oem one will pay for itself eventually.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I ate my Wheaties this morning!
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

For the 210 tune and under, the stock filter is fine. To run the 250 and up tunes you will need atleast an aftermarket drop in filter.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:34 PM

I ran the 210 tune for a a good bit with the stock intake and sucked my filter minder closed all the time... You should definitely break down and buy the intake as well while your at it. S&B is superb!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 AM

Agreed, I know quite a few folks who have sucked the filter minder closed running the 210 tune like Hanging_Heels mentioned.

In order to run the 210/250 tune you will need to delete the DPF.

James
RSD
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 powerstroke View Post
I decided i was going to buy the tuner but in a month or two but i was wondering do i have to install an intake? I will probably run the 210 or 250 tune most of the time, and i doubt i will drive it like i stole it. If i do drive it insane without the intake can i mess up my truck? Also, is a full dpf/doc delete with a new exhaust recomended? I am just looking at what will give me the best mpg's. thanks everyone!
I would just suggest a CAT/DPF pipe and you can leave the rest of the exhaust stock. I'd run a dropin air filter or intake even with the 210 and 250 tunes. Let me know if we can help you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.