Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

First time diesel owner needs help!!

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  ars5147 
#1 ·
Ok self proclaimed first time diesel owner here.:grin: I purchased my very own 2008 6.4L powerstroke recently. 2wd with 35k original miles. It felt like a beast compared to the 2013 f150 I left behind, but boy was it bogged down accelerating. First things first, I added a level kit, fender flares, new wheels and tires, DPF delete pipe and EGR delete electronically with SCT Tuner. Based on my research these 2 deletes were a MUST, and the SCT tuner was the way to go. I am currently doing a street tune adding 150hp, that I don't intend to get into, but you never know, and can drop down to a tow tune when pulling my 40ft RV. (first trip on the highway bobtail i averaged 23mpg) So far so good. I know the basics. Change oil every 5k, fuel filters every 10, drain the separator every month. easy enough. WHAT ELSE?? I'm not looking for problems. This truck is not a daily driver and will only see about 5k miles a year. When I do drive it I want it to RUN and be RELIABLE. I am starting to see that a coolant bypass filter may be the next direction to go. And does a cold air intake REALLY add noticeable performance? Any thoughts on all of this??

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
On a 150 tune you don't need three intake but it would make sure you have enough air for the turbos. You don't want to starve them of air. An AFE drop in filter will do the trick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Reactions: StrokeTillImBroke
#4 ·
Our intakes for the 6.4 make a huge difference. You will start to notice that the filter minder will suck closed once tuned and deleted. Let me know when you are ready and i'll set you up with one. We offer discounts for forum members

#5 · (Edited)
Definitely get a No Limit intake. Flows tons of air and super easy to keep clean, especially with the available filter sock/pre filter. Get it.

Removing certain exhaust things are the #1 upgrade for reliability. You've already covered oil changes and good clean fuel. Other than that, I'd say reliability is covered as far as you can simply go with a 6.4.

Edit: Well there's Ford upgraded rad hoses and degass bottle, created to address leaks. I still have all my original rad hose minus the upgraded upper (only changed for the heck of it), and never had a leak problem. That to me falls under don't fix if no broke.

#7 ·
Ars I hate the ugly *** vents on the side they look straight out of the 90s and I'm assuming they aren't made for looks. So if they're sole purpose is to allow more air under the hood, I'm guessing, I still need an intake on top of that? I'm paranoid about driving in water now because my cousin has the same truck and said his sputters ever since driving in flood water and a passerby threw a wave at him and got sucked through the vent..

#8 ·
08 side vents are actually functional, I believe 09 and 10 they weren't actually open to the inside. The filter/media itself is still the restriction though.

You don't need an intake, but the stock can be lacking and not flow enough on some tunes. The filter minder light will come on. A No Limit is just a great upgrade, easy to install, top notch craftsmanship, and easy to clean. Washable and reusable so never buy another filter again.

Flood water could have caused a sputter at the moment, ongoing since points to other issues.

I have 80,000+ miles on my 6.4 with the open side vent and No Limit intake driving in rain and snow, never had an issue.

I painted the inner grill of my side vents to match my two tone. I think it made the vents look 100% better. Maybe you could do something like that to yours.

Attachments

#9 ·
That's actually a pretty good idea. Never even thought about doing that. I have been researching a product as seen on tv called "wipe new" that's suppose to fix stuff like that, whitish dingy looking plastic...so mirrors, side vents etc. I like the matching paint idea better though. Just have to figure something out for the mirror arms. It sounds like my next upgrade will be intake. Like I said I've heard both horror stories and then nothing but praise for the 6.4 so it seems like a crap shoot. Hence the urge to try and PM/dealer proof the crap out of this thing without going broke.

#10 · (Edited)
proof the crap out of this thing without going broke.
Don't go wild with spending up front, start a savings account for the truck. Drink one less beer a day and bank it.

Ya it was simple to paint. Pop the vents off the truck and theres pins and crimp washers that hold the red grill part on. I used vinyl/interior/door panel flat gray as a primer, then a few coats of Duplicolor color match paint from the parts store.

I feel the pain with faded plastic, my cowl cover is toast from being in florida for 4 years before I go the truck in PA. It only accumulated 9,500 miles in 4 years so it sat, and toasted most of the plastic. I was told that the wipe new does work well and I think you can get it at Wally World.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.