Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

08 F250 6.4 using Gear Box Z DPF-R+ idle hiccup

6K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  vegas99 
#1 ·
Hey there guys, I am new to the forum and looking forward to learning and getting advice from the guys that really know the 6.4's.......thanks

OK.....I bought the Gear Box Z DPF-R+ with the dpf delete and the economy tune and this is my issue. The installation went smooth and can really tell the difference in power. My shifting has been alot tighter and have been told that this would smooth out in a week or so and to run it in "tow/haul" mode to assist the trans to re-learn.

Would love to hear some insight on the above statement......:smile2:

Now, after installing the DPF delete and the economy tune...."dpf, cat has been removed and straight pipe installed, also complete egr removal has been done with intake elbow installed....all sensors are plugged in and tied up for the dpf and egr"......all seems fine except for one thing. At idle, my truck will "hiccup".....never done this before. Now the weird thing is that I can return the truck to stock, and install only the dpf delete "without" the economy tune and there is no hiccup......only with the economy tune does this occur. Now I have been told by Gear Box Z that it will smooth out to just give it some time.

Thoughts on that anyone???

And finally, I do not think that the EGR removal is the culprit since the "hiccup" also occured before the removal of the egr.

I do hope that I provided enough info to get some advice......thanks again guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
No need to run it in tow/haul. It will learn either way. Every time you change or load a tune it will reset the adaptive trans tables. It takes a couple hundred miles to learn your driving style and smooth out. Can't tell you anything about the hiccup but it sounds like a tune issue to me. What type of hiccup? Rpm jump? How often? Is your a/c compressor cycling?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#4 ·
Yes could be. Turn all hvac off and see if it does it

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Ok....the only thing I done was unplug the ac compressor itself and it still done the same thing.......one interesting thing is that when i have the heat on.....say on defrost, and hit the button for the floor, it does the hiccup....how weird is that? But it also does it with the heat turned off just sitting there at idle.......could this be a vacuum issue?

#9 ·
Mine had the same hiccup for a week then stopped. I have the Electron tuner with plus tune. Runs smooth as silk now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 · (Edited)
Correct. Economy tune. With the electron, you set tire size and by default it used 30". Truck shifted hard and speedo was off. I've since uninstalled and reinstalled the Plus tune (70hp) and changed tire size to 32.5". Shifts are smooth, no more idle jump and speedo is correct per phone gps (Waze).
I actually think the reinstall of the tune fixed my issue. Truck runs super smooth now.

#11 ·
I also had this issue when I ran a GearBox-Z Plus. Did it with the AC on or defrost on. Stopped when I set the controls to off. Found out my problem was a bad diode in the fuse box under the hood. Fixed that problem, but that is very rare. I know have use Spartan and their 275 early lock tune, and have a similar issue with the AC running. To me it is just the AC compressor cycling on and off.

#14 · (Edited)
GOTHIPS350.....is the electron an "addon"? What I mean is, is this something that I would have to fully purchase to work along side with the DPF-R +? Or, am I able to have only the Electron and do the dpf, egr delete and the economy tune, plus be able to set the tire size as you suggest? The tires I have on my truck are 275/70R18.....I am unsure how to determine '...."30"....to 32.5'.....can you shed some advice on that?

I have returned the truck to stock and reinstalled the dpf delete and the economy tune......still same issue.....

#16 ·
Yes the Electron is the tuner by GearboxZ and has gauges.
If I were you, call GearboxZ and ask to speak with Sam. I've called them twice and either he called me back or I got him personally. Ask him what's up with the idle issue. Never know, he may send you a newer dpf-r.

#15 ·
The electron I believe is a different device with the same tunes on it. It is a little nicer than the dpf-r(it is a monitor also)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#17 · (Edited)
I have done that already.....and have gotten "what they said", was a newer dpf-r+.......but still have the same issues as before. Now please dont take me wrong, I think these programmers work very well......just didnt know if it was my truck that didnt like the tune. That is why I asked about the electron, what I may do is ask about swapping the dpf-r+ for the electron, especially since I have spent the money already for what the electron costs.

Speaking of the tire size......you do have 275/70R18's right? And with the electron you set the tire size at 32.5 and this is what solved the problem for you? Is that the only thing that you changed? Does tire size really make that much of a impact?

#18 ·
Not sure what else to tell you. Like I mentioned before, mine had a small idle hiccup as well, but has since stopped. I don't know if driving the truck some 600 miles on a round trip to SC did the trick or unloading and reloading the tune did. I didn't pay much attention to it as everything with this truck seems to make me nervous, but that hiccup seemed minimal to me. FWIW, my buddy has a 6.0 and the SCTx4 (i think) and his hiccups now and then.

#19 · (Edited)
It is just real weird cuz it does not happen with just the dpf delete, it only occurs when the economy tune is loaded.....even the shifting is smoother without the tune......but like you said, it may smooth out after some time passes and the truck gets used to it.......we shall see......

thank you for all the advice and if anyone has any other info to share please do!

I am still going to contact Gearbox Z and see what they say about it.....it just seems odd cuz you made the point about the economy tune uses specs by default and when you changed a default setting for the tune using the electron, the issues you were having went away......but then again like you also said, it may just take some time........leaves the whole situation kinda up in the air huh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.