Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

COOLING FAN CLUTCH

5K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Acguy1999 
#1 ·
Hey Powerstrokers...
I'm not sure if this is in the right place...but what the hell.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the standard cooling fan clutch and the plow/camper package fan clutch?

I've read the TSB on the issue which led to the new clutch design, but I still don't see a big difference.

Thanks.

#8 ·
the details are in the link

it's a more aggressive clutch and prevents counter rotation
TSB 07-11-5 DIESEL ENGINE - OVERHEATING WITH A SNOW PLOW INSTALLED ON VEHICLES WITHOUT THE FACTORY INSTALLED SNOW PLOW PACKAGE

<u>ISSUE:</u>
Some F-Super Duty vehicles with a diesel engine, that are not equipped with the factory snow plow package, may exhibit an engine overheat condition if a snow plow is installed on the vehicle. The condition typically will occur during normal highway driving. This is due to the snow plow blade disrupting airflow to the engine, causing the cooling fan to stop turning or to spin in reverse.

<u>ACTION:</u>
A new clutch fan (only for snow plow applications) may be installed to correct the condition. Cost of the new clutch fan and its installation is the responsibility of the customer. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-03 for removal and installation.

PART NUMBER - PART NAME
4C3Z-8A616-SA (YB-3013) - 6.0L Fan Clutch
8C3Z-8A616-A (YB-3091) - 6.4L Fan Clutch

#6 ·
From what I can find, the fan operates the same normal. The fan control temp comes from PCM so I don't see the temp changing with new clutch. I just bought new tunes and had cooling fan kicks on Max at 215* vise 229*
I saw the manual switch thread but I'm not going there with my 6.4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.