Exhaust?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2009, 11:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Exhaust??

I currently have a 4" flo-pro delete pipe with a mbrp single back exhaust and was thinking about putting a muffler on. How much quiter will it be if I do this? Also those who have a single stack what kit are yall going with with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 865
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have a magna flow system with a muffler and my buddy has one without and honestly there is little difference. Now I do have the free flow muffler so there is very little to actually muffle the sound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Tennessee Powerstrokes

 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lebanon TN
Posts: 2,830
Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbou00 View Post
I currently have a 4" flo-pro delete pipe with a mbrp single back exhaust and was thinking about putting a muffler on. How much quiter will it be if I do this? Also those who have a single stack what kit are yall going with with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator0175 View Post
I have a magna flow system with a muffler and my buddy has one without and honestly there is little difference. Now I do have the free flow muffler so there is very little to actually muffle the sound

I agree it will not get much quieter, unless of course you want to give up some more freeness in the flow of your exhaust to lessen the noise factor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loudon, TN
Posts: 2,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
A muffler on a 6.4L really changes the sound of it for the better in my opinion! We can hook you up with a lil' shorty muffler if your interested because I know there is not many places to put a muffler on stack kits!

Last edited by CobbsDieselPerformance; 10-02-2009 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Not enough coffee in blood stream....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-02-2009, 05:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 553
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
I've played around with mine and I really like the sound of my truck without the muffler, the truck is not loud by any means compared to a Cummins or 6.0 so I am just rocking the straight pipe. I notice about a 75 degree drop in temps at cruising speed when I am without a muffler too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ok thanks just considering a few options before I make a decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor
 

Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 385
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I personally think it makes a pretty big difference on sound between with/without muffler. I ran my truck straight 5" for a couple months, then went to a muffler. Will not got back to straight. There is a little too much whistle / air movement sound with a straight pipe. The muffler seems to calm the sounds a bit and give it a nice throaty tone.

I have also found that between different brands of mufflers, you will get entirely different exhaust sounds. I have yet to hear a no muffler stack kit installed, but i bet its pretty loud. Some of our test trucks have merely a dump pipe installed right after the downpipe, too loud for my taste!

Get us some pics of what you end up doing! Lets put that rig on our customer gallery section. Bennet was one of the first to purchase a 6.4 Black Maxx from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-02-2009, 09:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Loudon, TN
Posts: 2,039
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by H&S Tech View Post
I personally think it makes a pretty big difference on sound between with/without muffler. I ran my truck straight 5" for a couple months, then went to a muffler. Will not got back to straight. There is a little too much whistle / air movement sound with a straight pipe. The muffler seems to calm the sounds a bit and give it a nice throaty tone.

I have also found that between different brands of mufflers, you will get entirely different exhaust sounds. I have yet to hear a no muffler stack kit installed, but i bet its pretty loud. Some of our test trucks have merely a dump pipe installed right after the downpipe, too loud for my taste!

Get us some pics of what you end up doing! Lets put that rig on our customer gallery section. Bennet was one of the first to purchase a 6.4 Black Maxx from us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 591
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yea I've been wanting to put some pics on there maybe I'll get around to it this weekend. Now in the muffler situation I still would like to have a throaty sound to it so what muffler would you recommend for that but will I lose the whistle I'm getting now because I really enjoy the sound of that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Redding, CT
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbou00 View Post
Yea I've been wanting to put some pics on there maybe I'll get around to it this weekend. Now in the muffler situation I still would like to have a throaty sound to it so what muffler would you recommend for that but will I lose the whistle I'm getting now because I really enjoy the sound of that?
I am running a magnaflow and it still has the turbo whistle plus the throatiness. I believe the sound that everyone craves is really freed once the cat/dpf are removed, I still mos. after pulling mine off can't help from grinning everytime I shut the truck down and hear the turbo impeller spin whistling down to rest. People are like WTF is that noise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors