Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

DPF delete / check engine light

14K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  M90Ranger 
#1 ·
New to the forum and had a couple of questions searched DPF until blue in the face so thought I would just ask and see what response I get.

I have a 2008 F-350 and would like to delete DPF system and tune, however was told by dealer that if do this the Check engine light stays on forever, is this true?

Is there an after market kit and tuner that will not make this happen?

Thanks for the help and advise.

#2 ·
if you buy a complete kit, tuner, dpf delete and all then no, there is no check engine light

#4 ·
cheap? used sct...
imma be honest. There are three words FAST, RELIABLE, CHEAP

but you can only have 2.

in all fairness, pm cobbsdieselperformance and rudy@dpfdeletekits and ask them for budget dpf delete. i think you can get a single 4", sct with canned tunes, and dpf delete for like 1000-1250(but don't quote me, they aren't my products)

#6 ·
Think I will jump in, tired of the 13 mph and the truck regin every 100 miles. The real question is what to get. I do not need to make a drag truck but would like a little more horsepower but nothing stupid, had the superchip in my 99 7.3 and used the middle setting think 50 hp not sure, but that is about all i need usually.

Don't pull lots of stuff but when I need to it is usually heavy.

I know other people have asked in other threads but does anyone have a recommendation for me to research. I have a local guy who is very knowledgable to put everything on and runs his own diesel shop (also drives the DirtyMax in drags).

Now for the wifes question how much louder does this make the truck she likes the quiet of the 6.4 compared to the 7.3 i had. I just want to keep the look of stock no verticle stakes for me.

#11 ·
Now for the wifes question how much louder does this make the truck she likes the quiet of the 6.4 compared to the 7.3 i had. I just want to keep the look of stock no verticle stakes for me.
Just removing the DPF and Cat doesn't make it much louder at all. Most people complain about the *lack* of noise. I like the lack of noise. I don't need to draw any extra attention when I have nearly 600hp. I know it's there, and that is what matters.

If I had done mine over again, I would have left the stock tail pipe. You don't need an after market pipe till you want some ridiculous amount of horse power. Just get a 3.5" DPF/Cat delete pipe and a SCT tuner with canned tunes. You could get into that for way less than $1000.

John Cobbs mentioned a used tuner. I would be all over that, if I didn't already have something better. There is no problem with used stuff. And if John it's good, then I would buy it from him.

#8 ·
BINGO BANGO BONGO!

#14 ·
do what i did... show her how much the truck costs to drive per mile based on fuel usage....

basically take your average fuel mileage, divide it by the cost of fuel and you have the cost per mile.

example 13mpg/2.70 per gallon = 0.21 per mile

now say you average a 4 mpg increase

17mpg/2.70 per gallon = 0.16 per gallon

that is a savings of .05 per mile. if you spent 1000 on a tuner and exhaust you could basically pay for the tuner by driving the truck 20000 miles. once you've done that, you start to actually pocket the savings.

#16 ·
i've seen almost 5 in mixed driving

#20 ·
you can spend an extra 60-80 buy an aftermarket filter for the stock intake and run the 210 or 250

#21 ·
Question for cobbs

How much for the sct live wire and delete pipe? I have a 2009 6.4 l 4x4 350 srw crewcab, looking for better mpg , not sure about going delete yet though. Thanks

#24 ·
How much for the sct live wire and delete pipe? I have a 2009 6.4 l 4x4 350 srw crewcab, looking for better mpg , not sure about going delete yet though. Thanks
Just completed the work and total installed and working great for $1100.00. Well worth it my fuel mileage has gone up at least 5 mpg, and the truck run's about 300 rpm less to produce same mph as before.

#22 ·
I went ahead and just did the delete kit (or doing it currently) I am tired of getting crappy gas milage and penciling it out you can get your money back within 15000 miles or less, well worth it if you are going to keep the truck for awhile.

#25 ·
Just put SCT livwire extreme W/ dpf / doc delete and afe stage 2 intake. Took 3 hrs to install all, with help from friends and beverage. I have run about 1400 miles and mpg went from 12.4 to 17.8, set on the performance setting. Great throttle response better shifting, on auto. trans. Stock exhaust, not much louder just a bit deeper. All for under $1200. No engine lights, no probs so far. Extremely pleased with everything.

#27 ·
we have many vendors on the site that can sell you the parts you need. do a few searches and read some reviews.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.