SCT creating TCM problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SCT creating TCM problem

All,
I am a new member to the forum but have been visiting for some time. I have a job 1 2008 superduty with a 6.4 powerstroke. I purchased an SCT livewire less than one month after purchasing the truck to get rid of the dpf. Due to needing to purchase new tire soon (going to go a little larger than stock) I recently updated by livewire with the latest firmware and tunes which allow tire calibration. When I tuned the truck with the extreme tune the truck would not try to start (starter didnt even engage). I then tried to go back to stock and the programmer locked up in the ECM update screen for over one hour. I eventually unhooked the programmer as it was not getting anywhere and tried to start over. Unfortunately the programmer continues to tell me to return truck to stock however will not communicate with the truck. I had a certified ford tech. with the correct software to re-flash the PCM however we cannot get the TCM to communicate because it says it is corrupt. He is telling me I will need to purchase a new TCM at approximately $1000. Just wondering if anyone has heard of anything like this of if you have any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2009, 01:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The only other thing he (ford tech) could try would be to disconnect/reconnect the tcm then attempt to perform a "programmable module installation" using as built data for the tcm.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Job 1 TCMs are very flaky there have been several tcm failures on Job 1 trucks. The tcms are no where near 1000 dollars they retail around 350 or so I believe so sounds like the tech is blowing smoke.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The tech did try to use the as built data for the tcm, however we did not disconnect the tcm before doing so. Would this make a difference?
Old 09-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke Techie

probably not if he already tried as built
Old 09-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have never seen an SCT do this, but it is possible. Corrupt / incomplete transmission calibrations can crash the TCM. The are not $1000 bucks though. I believe Cobbs is right, they are around $350-$400. It should even come pre-programmed for your truck if you order using your VIN number.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbsDieselPerformance View Post
Job 1 TCMs are very flaky there have been several tcm failures on Job 1 trucks. The tcms are no where near 1000 dollars they retail around 350 or so I believe so sounds like the tech is blowing smoke.
Sorry to hijack but what is the diff in a new tcm from ford and a new tcm from spartan. I thought the one from spartan was just a blank one. Is a new ford one a blank one?
Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4STROKER View Post
Sorry to hijack but what is the diff in a new tcm from ford and a new tcm from spartan. I thought the one from spartan was just a blank one. Is a new ford one a blank one?
Spartans TCM is re-worked to improve shifting, and is designed to ONLY work with their tuner programing.
You cannot use a Spartan TCM with any other tuner, sorry.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
Quote:
Originally Posted by FX4STROKER View Post
no, ford is not going to sell you a blank one. That is the difference, matt sells you a blank one, and the tunes to control it.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving View Post
Spartans TCM is re-worked to improve shifting, and is designed to ONLY work with their tuner programing.
You cannot use a Spartan TCM with any other tuner, sorry.
Hmmm, then if you get a Spartan TCM can it be returned to stock tune to go in to the dealer? Or am I misunderstanding what you are saying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.