Power Steering Issue(not high performance) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power Steering Issue(not high performance)

The issue at hand: When I get in my truck and start it up, I am not able to turn the steering wheel. It feels as if I have no power steering. What I don't get is, this does not happen every time. There are times where I start the truck and I can turn the wheel with no issues what so ever. This issue is only when the truck is at a dead stop. I know that it always is easier to turn the wheel when the truck is moving, but this doesn't help me when I am in a situation where I need to turn the wheel at a dead stop. Any input would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Any braking issues? Did you check the fluid? You might have a kinked line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the king View Post
The issue at hand: When I get in my truck and start it up, I am not able to turn the steering wheel. It feels as if I have no power steering. What I don't get is, this does not happen every time. There are times where I start the truck and I can turn the wheel with no issues what so ever. This issue is only when the truck is at a dead stop. I know that it always is easier to turn the wheel when the truck is moving, but this doesn't help me when I am in a situation where I need to turn the wheel at a dead stop. Any input would be nice.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
i had this issues, my pump and box were both leaking. Might check for issues. but, PSD's are also prone to this problem(lack of steering at idle) due to the fact the brakes and steering are hydraulic and at idle the pump isnt spinning fast enough to make assist both 100%
Old 09-24-2009, 02:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I think Dusten is onto something, try raising idle while stopped and see if it turns any better.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:42 AM

Mine feels the same way , little bump in the idle and she ok
Old 10-05-2009, 01:41 PM

I have always had the same problem with mine. Cannot turn my 35's at idle at a stop. Makes it very difficult to try and get in and out of parking stalls. My 91 4runner with 40's and the stock box and pump turns better at a stand still and idle then the superduty does.

I thought it was maybe due to the PS fluid being old and dirty. I had 102,000km's on the original fluid. I also noticed that my brakes were a little on the "squishy" side and not as effective as my buddies new 09HD with 38's.

So, while it was in for a tranny flush, my buddy also flushed my PS circuit. He said the oil was very dark his exact words were "If this was fluid coming out of a transmission-you would be replacing your transmission today".

Anways, he flushed it for me and I have noticed no noticeable difference in the steering response at idle. However, I have noticed that my brake pedal is considerably "firmer" and the "squishy" is gone.

Now at the dealership its a $200 flush...but I am sure you can do it yourself by disconnecting your return line, plugging the line on the box and pouring new fluid in while the old is pumped out of the return line. He said he used about 4 litres of fluid and you don't have to use the Mercon SP for this. if memory serves me correctly, ford calls for Mercon V or equivalent.

In addition, he told me that there may be a TSB out regarding the crappy stearing so I will let you all know when I hear back what the verdict is.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
I wanna go fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonrunner View Post

In addition, he told me that there may be a TSB out regarding the crappy stearing so I will let you all know when I hear back what the verdict is.
any update?
Old 10-19-2009, 03:32 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
The lines that went to my Hydroboost came untighened last week and a lost about 1/2 quart of fluid. I had this high pitched whistle noise that got louder with the brake pedal pressed whether turning or sitting at idle. I also noticed fluid on my long arm kit up from and inside the drivers side wheel well. I popped the hood an noticed that both the lines were finger tight. I snugged them both up and used some brake clean to get everything out of there and have been good ever since. Definately something to look at. It's the two lines above the fuse panel on the driverside rear corner under the hood.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

both lines on my truck as well were finger tight. started noticing fluid on my lift and under the truck, so i checked them and sure enough. Both were easily broken lose by hand.

my truck, however, will not turn the tires unless moving. You cannot, no matter how hard you push, get the tires turned at a dead stop. Not fun when backing trailers into tight predicaments.

Bentley
Old 10-20-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd.mcclure View Post
any update?

No, been busy renovating my bathroom...but the truck goes in again this week...I guess the burning sensation in my eyes is not normal during regen and they figure I have an exhaust leak. I will find out about the power steering at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.