problematic shifting with latest 310 tune. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Red face problematic shifting with latest 310 tune.

i've had the latest 310 tune installed in my truck for about a week now. didnt purchase the tcm cause i was told that i didnt need it since i have a job 3 truck. powers amazing. definitelly feel the differnence between this tune and any 275. my only issue is the shifitng between 4th and 5th at half or 3/4 throttle. it jolts and slams in kinda violently. at light or full throttle this doesnt happen. anyone else experiencing this problem. to be honest i havent really made many full thorttle passes since installing the 310. am i doing something wrong? i dont want to screw anything up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm not sure how this applies to people not running the upgraded TCM, but it is some info on the subject of tranny functions with the new tunes;

Spartan TCM Transmission Relearn Process!!!

Maybe Matt from Spartan will chime in.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to younggun55
Is it your TC locking up? When I first started running the 310 when the TC locks it would LOCK and jolt the truck a little while cruising. It tamed down after a while
Old 09-21-2009, 10:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bump bump bump
Old 09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun55 View Post
Is it your TC locking up? When I first started running the 310 when the TC locks it would LOCK and jolt the truck a little while cruising. It tamed down after a while
yes the tc is locking up. locks up around 48 mph. it doesnt have a problem doing that. it just seems to shift funky form 4th to 5th, and only at half or 3/4 throttle. its jolty and kinda slams in. there's another thread on this exact symptom on spartans website from another 310 user but there seems to be no resoution. just thought id ask here.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have experienced the same thing just like you described it. I say it is because the truck thinks at 3/4 throttle the truck thinks it has to shift quicker than it needs to. Its like it over compensates and it almost lugs it when it shifts to quickly like that. Although at full throttle it is right where it needs to be. I have a job 3 without the new TCM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM

shifting

just installed the 310 and the shift you are refering to is almost identical in my 275 v3. i actually try to ease up on the throttle so it doesnt shift too hard into gear. like said, it shifts perfect just cruising or at wot. i am really happy with the driveability of the 310. it is a perfect daily driver if you can stand to baby it.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:16 PM

i'd be scared to run the 310 without a TCM, and i have a job 3 truck. Mick from spartan told me that it would not be a great idea to run the 310 without the TCM
Old 09-23-2009, 10:52 AM

tcm

thats funny, because i was told that normal driving and a occasional wot run would not damage the transmission without the tcm. it actually shifts better than the 275 in my opinion. very quick with no hesitation. i have talked to several people at spartan about this tune and they all said the same thing. it all depends on the driver. but this goes for any tune, right?
Old 09-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well im a little relieved that im not the only one experiencing thes symptoms. i thought there might have been something wrong with my truck for a sec. for those of you who have the tcm with the 310 are you still getting these symptoms at half or 3/4 throttle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.