Another Spartan VS SCT - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another Spartan VS SCT

ok, im new to diesel tuning and i had some questions. i know that SCT is good, at least decent for MPG and a good increase in hp for the every day driver. but if you had the spartan phalanx with the 310 race tune wouldnt you have to worry about blowing head gaskets or something along that nature? i know with the 6.0 there where a lot of problems past 600hp. please enlighten me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Please don't make spartan vs. sct threads cuz it just stirs the ****. on the other note, since you thread isn't even really about that, i'll adress your question.

It is possible to blow your heads with any race tune from spartan (250+). That being said, it's all up to you whether you blow them or not. If you watch your temps and boost pressures and manage them to a acceptable level then you shouldn't have any problems. But if you're pushing 1800 degrees and 55 psi for 5 minute intervals its only a matter of time before it pops.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i havent driven the truck yet since its at home and im in iraq, but for normal every day driving would this be something i have to worry about?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would say just daily driving your fine.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:12 AM

Send a message via MSN to Dusten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalro6 View Post
i havent driven the truck yet since its at home and im in iraq, but for normal every day driving would this be something i have to worry about?
if you're worried get a standard spartan tuner, comes with anything from stock(no dpf) to 250hp tunes. Great set up for a DD, and adds that 250 tune(previously a $200 option) for when you want to play.
its the setup i just bought for my wifes truck
Old 09-21-2009, 05:47 AM
Emergency Services

Everyone is just itching to get the newest 310 tune. Everyone has the same questions : Will it kill my transmission (with or without the TCM) and will it blow my head gaskets...

Just the new Pre-loaded Spartan tuner with the 250 tune ought to be enough to get anyone started. I ran the 210 before I had anything bigger, and it was fabulous. Actually for a few weeks I have been running it instead of the 275 tune. It's really not that different. It is PLENTY for daily driving.

I have been running the 275 tune for several months and I am not gentle with my truck. If I didn't blow a head gasket when I pulled my little stunt on the hiway I think it is pretty safe. (stunt: beat a 2007 Subaru STI to 124mph, and with every alarm going off on the DD, I bent a rocker arm. When they bend, there is a ghastly noise that sounds like a rifle rapport)

Anyway, if I some how lost my 310 and 275 today, I would still be very happy with the 210. With the new tuner set up, you will be getting the 250 essentially for free. That is just awesome.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:57 AM

The biggest plusses for Spartan are these.

1. When you upgrade your truck to the 6.7L, Spartan will be ready. You can bet that SCT will not be ready for at least two or three years.

2. Spartan concentrates on Ford only.
SCT does everything, so which tune or vehicle make takes priority? Which company will do the better job?

The answer is simple to me.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the help guys. ill look into a spartan instead of sct. what kind of mileage do u think ill be getting with the 275 tune, AFE stage 2, and 5" Pro-Flo down pipe back exhaust? in an article on Diesel Power Mag they did this with the SCT and averaged 15-17 city and 20-23 highway. thats what originally interested me in the SCT.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:08 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalro6 View Post
I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your service
Old 09-21-2009, 07:09 AM

Call Aaron at Rudy's, he will get your SPARTAN to you ASAP, if you go through SPARTAN it will take forever to get a phone call or reply back from them, "I Know" this as I can't get a call from them by either calling or emails, so just call Aaron he will get you set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.