Install instructions for TCM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Install instructions for TCM

Hey I didnt want to have to make another TCM thread but I didnt get the install instructions in my box. I got a two pages of paper the second of which was the learning process. It said on the first sheet that included is the ford service TCM install procedure instuctions. Could anyone post up these instructions for me? Or scan them into the computer or something. it would be greatly apreciated. That damn thing is really tough to get to.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Best I can do with my limited skills, it came to me as a docx type file that I couldn't attached here. I was able to save it as a regular text file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Spartan_TCM_Instructions.txt (3.4 KB, 101 views)
Old 09-19-2009, 05:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Spartan Modified Transmisson Control Module
Before beginning installation, ensure that you have already received the proper tune files specifically written to function with the modified TCM.

A copy of the Ford shop manual containing how to swap the transmission control module is attached.

Once the new TCM is installed, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START YOUR TRUCK. Download the tune of your choice provided from us specifically marked for use with the upgraded transmission controller (all tune files designed for our TCM will be marked with "SPRTN_TCM" at the end of the file name" . Please also ensure that your truck already has a Spartan tune file downloaded in it before physically installing the new module; otherwise the stock file saved by your tuner will no longer function.
Also make ABSOLUTELY SURE that once the module is installed, the original "stock" file is never downloaded without re-installing your factory transmission controller first. In other words, once the Spartan TCM is in place, NEVER install any tune (including stock) that is not specifically marked for use with the new TCM. The new module may be removed, the old one re-installed, and any normal tune including stock can be re-downloaded at any point you wish.
If you have any questions about the installation process, please send us an email or call BEFORE beginning installation. Module damage due to the download of an incorrect tune will not be warranted.

Step-by-step-----
1.) Ensure that new tunes written for the upgraded TCM are in your possession.
2.) Ensure that a tune matching your truck is already installed (if not, do so before continuing).
3.) Physically install new module onto the vehicle frame rail per included instructions.
4.) Download a Spartan TCM-specific tune (of any HP level you choose) with your flash console.
5.) Start truck and follow the transmission adaptation procedure described on the next page.

Transmission Adaption Procedure

Since the 5R110 electronic transmission controls are self-adaptive, it is necessary (more so with the new TCM than a stock one) to allow the module to "learn" your driving style and vehicle.
Immediately after installation of the module and enhanced programming, transmission shifting will be harsh and erratic- more so than with the installation of a "normal" tune alone. This is normal- no harm is done to the transmission during the adaptation. The procedure below will complete the majority of the adaptation needed; final "learning" will finish after several days of the vehicle being driven.
1.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 55-60MPH at approximately 1/4 throttle. Do this twice.
2.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 65-70MPH at approximately 1/2 throttle. Do this twice.

3.) From a stop, accelerate the vehicle to 70MPH at approximately 3/4 throttle. Do this twice.
4.) From a 40MPH roll, press the accelerator to the floorboard quickly (forcing the truck to downshift)
and accelerate to around 75MPH.

5.) From a stop, accelerate to 75MPH at wide open throttle (press the accelerator to the floor immediately). Do this 2-3 times.
Since this procedure will likely exceed posted speed limits and likely be used with off-road use only tuning, it will need to be carried out off-road or at a race track.

Upon completing this, shifting should become much more consistent and less harsh- it will still remain quite firm in comparison to a stock TCM. Final adaptation will take place over the next several days of driving.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Thanks guys for your help! What is the trick to getting the TCM switched out? Matt sats to remover the 2 8mm bolts holding the TCM to the metal bracket. Is there room to slide it out between the cab and that bracket? It looks pretty tight. Also once you remove the two bolts is there slack in the wire that conects to it, so it can be properly reconected?

Sorry for all the questions, I got my apendix removed on monday and am wanting to install this thing the easyest way possable.

Thanks guys!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.