Looking for Some Input on A Problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 04:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking for Some Input on A Problem

I am hoping someone can offer up a solution to an issue I am having with the 310. I am 99.9 percent sure that the issue is not a tune issue but more of hardware issue. All obvious answers point to a head gasket issue but before I start ripping off parts I want to consider all possibilities.

I recently installed the 310 along with the TCM. I can operate the truck at low throttle and don't experience an issue. When I attempt to go past 1/4 throttle, or even give it a quick blurp I get coolant emanating from the degas bottle via the cap.

My boost psi isn't even going above 30 lbs. I did discover today that boost can be relatively low and due to timing cylinder pressure can be very high. This would point to head gaskets. I do have one egr plate installed on the exaust side of the EGR so a cracked EGR cooler is probably not the probelm, unless not having a block off plate on the intake side could cause this issue.

If I throw the 275 back in the truck I don't loose a drop of coolant, even if I hold the thing wide open all the way down the track. Any help in this issue would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Are you running the AC pretty good during this time?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:42 PM

Negative on the A/C

After our conversation the other night I made sure the A/C was off. Any reason why the A/C would bring about this condition?
Old 09-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have no idea, but I have heard that it can cause issues with coolant spewing. uga33 on here is a diesel tech, and he took my cap off over the weekend and he didnt really think I had a whole lot of pressure, and that if I did have head gasket issues it was at the very beginning of the problem. Im barely even losing any coolant, its just spewing slightly. It wont happen to me unless I am in overdrive with the converter is locked, and I am making a lot of boost (45+ psi). It will also do it when I am doing the tranny learn and flogging it over and over on bottom end.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:54 PM

Boost maybe, maybe not ????

As I indicated above I can hold the 275 to the boards and see 49 to 51 psi of boost. I can't handle 30 psi from the 310. I think the cylinder pressure due to timing may be the culprit.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

It could be....we will have to get more input on this.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM

If you only have the EGR plate on the EGR side of the cooler, you are still heating the cooler with exhaust. possible cracked cooler or boiling it back to the degass bottle? just a thought.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM

EGR Block Plate location

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_Ford View Post
If you only have the EGR plate on the EGR side of the cooler, you are still heating the cooler with exhaust. possible cracked cooler or boiling it back to the degass bottle? just a thought.
The EGR block plate that I have installed is on the exhaust or input side. This is blocking all exhaust gasses from entering the cooler.

I didn't put a block plate on the other side (EGR valve side) because I was told it was not necessary. In order for the absence of this plate to cause this situation the EGR valve would have to be faulty, causing boosted air to enter the EGR system backwards (if this was even possible). Then I would need have a cracked EGR cooler that would allow the pressurized air to enter the coolant system.

I am not entirely sure that this scenario is even possible, since I am somewhat a diesel beginner.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

his plate is on the hot side of the cooler.

If it is a leaky EGR valve. With the 210 and up. THe EGR valve only cycles at idle. There will be smoke at idle. Once your on the throttle. THe EGR valve closes and the smoke should clear up.

I dont think it coolers or valve.

Last edited by forcefed6.4ford; 09-15-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM

Egr cooler is not the problem. Honestly the issue has to be head gaskets plain and simple. It doesn't sound to be too bad as of yet, have you replaced the coolant cap? Also do you have the old style water cooled egr valve?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.