DPF-ON Tunes? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DPF-ON Tunes?

After reading all the praise on this board I'm thinking about getting a Spartan tuner with the DashDaq and I don't really want to do a DPF/CAT/EGR delete just yet in fear of having to take the truck in for warranty work. Plus, I had a deal with the dealership I bought my truck from to throw in a 72 month/100,000 "Extra Care" warranty as part of the price of the truck. I would be crazy to do anything obvious to void the warranty after getting that extra warrany so I just want to do a tuner-only and see what happens from there. I mean, I don't race or beat on my truck at all since it is a daily work truck and weekend tow rig, but still I like to be safe than sorry. Plus, our local dealerships are NOT mod friendly AT ALL. If a nut looks like it has been freshly taken off, they will question it.

What are some of the DPF-ON tunes available? They are offered, yet no one really runs them because they jump straight to the DPF delete and tunes accordingly. I want to run the DPF for at least two-three years as that's when I will be approaching the 100k mark given the amount of miles that I drive each year.

I'm also looking into installing a 47 gallon Titan fuel tank, there should be no issues as far as voiding warranty by installing one of those tanks would there? I'm tired of only having a 30.5 gallon tank and only being able to put in 24 gallons in it (could do the harpoon mod). But if you are going to go through all that trouble from dropping the tank, might as well put in a new and bigger tank, right? LoL! May end up still doing the harpoon mod, but considering a bigger aftermarket tank.

Any thoughts on DPF-ON tunes? Basically the truck will be BONE STOCK minus tune. Can you tow with the 150hp DPF-ON tune? What other good tunes are available for the DPF-ON trucks?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2009, 01:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

You would be perfectly fine towing with the 150 tune. People tow with the 275 tune and with the DPF/DOC off the truck. I think what your doing is a good decision and will ultimately allow you to purchase DPF-off tunes and and a delete pipe and be done with it. It will probably help your fuel mileage during towing and on the highway, but not so much in the city.

Tunes available are the 40, 75, 120, and 150 I believe.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

It will plug that DPF up real fast. When that happens you will see a decrees in performance. I do understand about not wanting to void the warranty.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:39 PM

How's it going to plug the dpf up really fast if the truck still regens when needed?
Old 09-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
It will plug that DPF up real fast. When that happens you will see a decrees in performance. I do understand about not wanting to void the warranty.
I've been thinking about the DPF/Cat-on tunes, myself. But, pyro2nite has mentioned my biggest concern with doing that. I'm leery about removing emission controls (DPF and Cat) and facing the obscenely high fines if discovered. May just have to stick with it until I can find a nice used 7.3!
Old 09-03-2009, 10:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodiak diesel View Post
How's it going to plug the dpf up really fast if the truck still regens when needed?
Good question. I guess I did not say it right. Yes it will regen but it will regen more often. The DPF is only good for so many regens, read the Ford info on this. They estimate 125,000 to 150,00 miles then it needs replacing. With tunes, more fuel, more soot, more regens. So it will be shortening the life of the DPF a bunch. I know Banks had a bunch of issues with the DPF filling up and pulled their tuner a couple of months after intro. It might be back but there was some big problems.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:03 PM

Thats very true, i guess i was thinking more in terms of if you ran a dpf delete tune with a dpf still installed. I bet it really would shorten the life of the dpf if you went 50k+ miles using the dpf on tune.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro2nite View Post
I read your answer to this but it got me thinking. Wouldn't the dpf be warrantied for 100k since it's part of the emissions system? Or is that not true anymore?

I live in CA so am hesitant to remove the dpf since we will probably have emissions testing next year. When my warrenty is up and I see how the testing is going to go that will be a different ball game. I see a Spartan tuner for sure by then...
Old 09-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Guys, Spartan has a really low soot count....right around if not lower than stock output. The DPF-on tunes are perfectly fine to use for awhile until you decide to get the DPF off of the truck. And yes, the DPF is covered for 100,000 miles under the emissions equipment warranty. If you don't allow the dealer to find out you have the truck tuned, they will replace the DPF if it happens to plug.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
.....The DPF-on tunes are perfectly fine to use for awhile until you decide to get the DPF off of the truck.....
It may not have been what you meant, but how long is the "awhile" before problems surface? If I choose to just buy the DPF-on tuning, and never use a DPF/Cat delete pipe, what improvements (or problems) can I expect? I'm not trying to be an ***, but I do need to know what I'm facing IF I go with the Spartan tuner. I really like what I've seen about the DashDaq. I miss all of the gauges I had on my last truck. If the Spartan tunes (DPF/Cat-on) can help any, I'd spend the extra $$ for that, too. But, I can't afford to make anything (mileage, warranty, component life) worse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.