rcd tunes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
rcd tunes

I've read the past post on there tune thinking of ordering from them I did see the tuning levels have changed though that they offer. I'm thinking of going with the 550 tune. I was wondering how every thing was holding up for those that have rcd tunes and any thoughts on the 550 tune. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 09:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Everyone has good things to say about them. There is only one guy that I know of that has problems, and he has had problems on 2 trucks. Both of his trucks got a lot of miles with the tunes, probably more miles than most people running RCD tunes. I am sure something will come out of his issues, we will just have to sit back and wait. Other than that, they have a good reputation thus far.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have the 485 and the 585. The 485 is a very smooth and strong street tune and will dust just about anything on the street. The 585 is a total beast and is only for crazy people with a need for speed. I dont know much about the 550 but you can e-mail Brad at RCD brad@rivercitydiesel.com and he will give you the 411 on it.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANDSAILOR View Post
I have the 485 and the 585. The 485 is a very smooth and strong street tune and will dust just about anything on the street. The 585 is a total beast and is only for crazy people with a need for speed. I dont know much about the 550 but you can e-mail Brad at RCD brad@rivercitydiesel.com and he will give you the 411 on it.
Bring it on! I'm your Huckleberry!! I think you said something about September 11th, Baytown??? Just jacking Eric!
Old 08-31-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocken1 View Post
I've read the past post on there tune thinking of ordering from them I did see the tuning levels have changed though that they offer. I'm thinking of going with the 550 tune. I was wondering how every thing was holding up for those that have rcd tunes and any thoughts on the 550 tune. thanks
My buddy with his spartan tuned truck drove my RCD 485 tuned truck this past weekend. Within 10 minutes he asked me if he should by a SCT just so that he can run the RCD tune. He said its strong and shifts nice. His comments were, "I am getting tired of the harsh shifts from the Spartan 275 and I cannot seem to do anything without the exhaust temperatures going through the roof"
Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonrunner View Post
My buddy with his spartan tuned truck drove my RCD 485 tuned truck this past weekend. Within 10 minutes he asked me if he should by a SCT just so that he can run the RCD tune. He said its strong and shifts nice. His comments were, "I am getting tired of the harsh shifts from the Spartan 275 and I cannot seem to do anything without the exhaust temperatures going through the roof"
I rode in my buddies truck as well this weekend first with the 485 and then 585. Truck runs great no doubt. I would put my truck with the 275 up against his 585 in a heartbeat. Granted my truck has stock radials, suspension etc and he is running 38's with a 6" rise. I don't want to hijack RCD's thread though. Just my .02.

On another note though, his 485 shifts VERY smooth. Similiar to the 210.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the info. On the rcd sight they offer the 525 550 and 585 there is no 485 listed they changed the menu I was thinking of going with the 485 and 585 but maybe the 550 might be the happy medium for me next week I'll be ordering it.I did call them today and they were very helpful with all my questions.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wontonrunner View Post
Hmmmm....I wont saying anything to this
Old 08-31-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
Hmmmm....I wont saying anything to this
I have driven his truck as well. Powerwise, the 275 has more than the 485 whcih it should because the math tells me that 485 would be more comparable to the spartan 210. Shiftwise, I like my RCD. As mentioned, the shifts are harsh on the 275 and I could not get to speed with the 275 without the temp going through the roof.

The RCD tuning is nice. I have plans yet to buy both the max economy tune and 1 hotter tune most likley also with a lope.

I see they did revise the power ranges that they offer but you should still be able to get intermediate tunes. The 485 was never published before, it was simply the 450 pulling more fuel. When I ordered it I was told it is the cleanest tune they offer with the most hp that will not cause any reduction to the life of the tranny.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

I have personally never had problem with the 275 tune EGT's, and EGT's going up really high for a short amount of time is not something to worry about as long as it isnt held there for too long. I couldnt imagine how hot the lope RCD tunes are. Probably as hot or hotter than the 310 Spartan tune. As far as shifts go, it sounds like he has a job 1 TCM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.