Blowing Turbo Boots - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.4L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2009, 07:13 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Blowing Turbo Boots

I have a 09 that is DPFdelete and is tuned with a SCT and has worked pretty much flawlessly for almost 10000 miles. I have towed pretty heavy on all the various tunes and found the extreme works the best when you keep an eye on the gauges. Because of my sucsess, my buddy did the same delete/tune on his new 09 450.

He is not having the same sucsess though. While towing his heavy fifth wheel he blew his upper blue turbo boot making about 36 lbs of boost. It blew off a few more times on the same trip. After replacing, later on the same trip, the bottom blue boot blew off. This has since happened a couple more times. He has ran the extreme, performance and tow - with having problems on all of them. He's pretty fustrated to say the least.

I have hit 48 or 49 lbs towing, never with a problem. His boots have come off at lower boost than that.( although he said he did hit 52 lbs on the first trip, but the boots never came off at that level. They came off at lower boost levels after that.)

Any thoughts? Anyone have boot problems and how did you resolve.

Thanks, trying to help a buddy after he switched from GM to Ford.( and hearing about it!)

Last edited by derekwitt; 08-28-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Yes that has been an issue, we use Bob Riley's(dieselsite) boot kit. Give him a shout the kit works great. We stock them also, if he's out of stock.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jesse@MBRP
Take them off, clean them out...put them back on with aresol hairspray and tq accordingly. Mine blew off once at 34lbs and after doing that I have not have a problem since with over 46lbs of boost.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:55 AM
Emergency Services

Tighten them down till they don't blow off. The only time I have ever had a problem with mine was after my truck had been to the dealership to get a rocker arm replaced. They had some intake piping off. When I left there, the bottom boot blew off at about 30psi running stock. I put it back on on the side of the road. It blew off again as soon as I started accelerating. Then I just tightened it till it didn't tighten any more. No more problem. Even with 45psi.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:18 AM

They have to be clean, oil gets coated on them on the inside and they will blow off with ease. But upgrading to the dieselsite boot kit wouldnt be a bad idea as mentioned above.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:20 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm pushing 60+ and I can't keep my boots on!!
Old 08-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse@MBRP View Post
Take them off, clean them out...put them back on with aresol hairspray and tq accordingly. Mine blew off once at 34lbs and after doing that I have not have a problem since with over 46lbs of boost.
I totally agree with Jesse. Mine use to blow off on a regular basis when I installed the dieselsite boot set. Since I've cleaned and used hairspray they have only came off one time running the 310 tune. When/if these boots wear out, I'm be going back to the stock boots. They seem to stay on a lot better than the dieselsite set...
Old 08-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1955 View Post
I totally agree with Jesse. Mine use to blow off on a regular basis when I installed the dieselsite boot set. Since I've cleaned and used hairspray they have only came off one time running the 310 tune. When/if these boots wear out, I'm be going back to the stock boots. They seem to stay on a lot better than the dieselsite set...
You need to quit running your truck so hard old man!! I have never had a turbo boot blow off, guess I am just lucky...surprised too considering how I have abused my truck for the past 64,000 miles
Old 08-28-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08stroker250 View Post
You need to quit running your truck so hard old man!! I have never had a turbo boot blow off, guess I am just lucky...surprised too considering how I have abused my truck for the past 64,000 miles
Well if I didn't have people show up at the house for a ride, then I don't think I would ever have a problem. Yesterday I blew it off about 10 miles from the house and had to limp back home....... That's the first time it has came off in a long time.. Hopefully the last..
Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick1955 View Post
Well if I didn't have people show up at the house for a ride, then I don't think I would ever have a problem. Yesterday I blew it off about 10 miles from the house and had to limp back home....... That's the first time it has came off in a long time.. Hopefully the last..
Dont you hate that?? I havent had it happen to much lately, but when I first did my delete and had the 275 tune and when I got the 310 tune...holy hell it was ridiculous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.