Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Stock downpipe removal in one piece!

7K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  EROD 
#1 · (Edited)
Well we finally got time to try it, and as I suspected, it can be down. I tried it on an automatic truck and one of our customers did it on a 6 speed truck. It takes some extra work, but is possible. The short of it is, the transmission crossmember has to be removed. After the cross member is out, raise the transmission above it's natural position and using a ratchet strap pull the transmission to the drivers side. On the manual truck that was basically it, rotate the pipe approx 90 degress as the pipe walks down and out. On the automatic truck it did take a little more work. We removed the tranny dipstick tube and wire harness braket off the starter(these are both very easy to get to). We also removed the tranny pan because this truck had a Mag pan. I think it can be done with the stock tranny pan it place, that will be my next project if I find a truck to try it on. This is good news for those worried about going back to stock, it's some extra work but can be done.

#3 ·
Thats some good news right there :thumb:

#9 ·
Manufactures are weird. The dumbest things can void you out!

#22 ·
We have dealers out in the country near St. Louis, MO the same way. I can PM info if needed to someone needing help. They are mod friendly, but only if your honest. The manager is my age, 27.

How much are one of these downpipes? I would be the guinee pig to see if it can be removed in one piece. I had no problem removing a 6.0L downpipe in one piece. It actually went back in easier than it came out. I think I can do it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.